Changing balls between holes, is it immoral?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm talking about types of ball here, I know this can be covered off by the 'one ball rule' for bigger competitions but most competitions at club level don't enforce it i imagine due to the number of players that use a mix of balls which they replace as and when they lose around the course.

I was thinking about this when trying out the AVX alongside the Pro V1X taking in to account different properties and characteristics of balls.

During a practice round late last night I hit shots with the AVX and followed up with the Pro V1x both of which can be advantageous in different scenarios.

For instance:

Short Par 3's the Pro V1x soared a little higher and spun back a foot, exactly what you'd want really. The AVX however hopped on about 4-5 feet from where it pitched.

Flip this and in scenarios where you're in to the wind the AVX is a superior wind ball and can gain an advantage on long par 4's and 5's that are in to the wind opposed to the V1X which visibly spins up more if a full normal shot into wind is undertaken.

I know the advantages between balls is negligible however it is there, it got me thinking but it's not something I've seen with my own eyes or something I'd ever wish to do as I prefer to get the 'feel' for an individual ball and for some reason it feels morally wrong. In club comps however if you saw someone doing this how would you feel? It can be within the rules of golf at times however it doesn't sit quite right with me. Theres a reason why the pro's aren't allowed to do this, so why should certain amateurs be allowed to?

It obviously becomes hard to control to, theres a blatant difference between someone losing their only pro v1 and pulling out a soft feel because needs must, in comparison to someone who is changing balls to suit each hole they encounter to try and use it to their advantage?

Steady day at work, can you tell?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know the advantages between balls is negligible however it is there, it got me thinking but it's not something I've seen with my own eyes or something I'd ever wish to do as I prefer to get the 'feel' for an individual ball and for some reason it feels morally wrong. In club comps however if you saw someone doing this how would you feel? It can be within the rules of golf at times however it doesn't sit quite right with me. Theres a reason why the pro's aren't allowed to do this, so why should certain amateurs be allowed to?
I would probably just feel they're a bit of a numpty, as that seems like quite a lot of faff for which I doubt they would see any real gain. I wouldn't feel aggrieved though or anything. Each to their own as long as it's in the rules in my book.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I would probably just feel they're a bit of a numpty, as that seems like quite a lot of faff for which I doubt they would see any real gain. I wouldn't feel aggrieved though or anything. Each to their own as long as it's in the rules in my book.

Granted there is that, but you never know. May be some aspiring Brysons knocking around.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As amatuers we can play with what we like and so there's nothing to stick a Pro V out of bounds and then go to a AD333. I have been known to change brands between holes where I have started with a premium ball and realised how wet the course was and how windy it was, so went for a firmer make of ball

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting point. Many PPs have changed makes of ball between holes because they are not getting on with one, or they have lost one. Personally, I don’t have an issue with it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not if you wanted to.

wish i could change during the hole, id hit a supersoft off the tee on par 4 's and 5's and Prov inside 150 :)
If preferred lies are in play, and you hit the fairway, you can....

As to the benefits for non elite golfers....someone's having a laugh. Way more downsides out there; in simple terms having got fixated on chipping with a super skinny X ball you end up playing your rock (or whatever) because you are 2" off the fairway, and the chips downhill, water the other side...how are you going to feel? Probability of performance pretty low, and way worse than any benefits that might have accrued in marginal situations as you go round.

Pick a ball for the course and conditions (or toss a coin) and get on with it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If preferred lies are in play, and you hit the fairway, you can....

As to the benefits for non elite golfers....someone's having a laugh. Way more downsides out there; in simple terms having got fixated on chipping with a super skinny X ball you end up playing your rock (or whatever) because you are 2" off the fairway, and the chips downhill, water the other side...how are you going to feel? Probability of performance pretty low, and way worse than any benefits that might have accrued in marginal situations as you go round.

Pick a ball for the course and conditions (or toss a coin) and get on with it
didn't know you could change during a hole, we are on Pref lies till end of May..... result;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not only may you change your ball when taking a preferred lie, you may also play a different ball when taking relief which would involve your dropping or placing a ball ball. it is not available if you are replacing the ball.

Check the particular rule and look for the word 'a' rather than the word 'the'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given the new lift clean and place rule the chances to switch ball are now greater. Nice distance ball off the tee and if you are straight enough a nice soft high spin ball in to the green.

Switching balls on tees is something I used to on a regular basis on our 9 hole course, particularly on the closing hole which required drop and stop rather than lots of back spin.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mate who is always spouting "anybody who is using the rules to their advantage is cheating" I have given up disagreeing with him and just get on with it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I tee'd off with a Pro V1x #3 with a red line on it and knocked it into the heather the other night. Found it, chipped out, played onto the green then went up to mark it. It was now a Pro V1x #2 with a red line on it. Does that count in the context of this thread? :oops:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I tee'd off with a Pro V1x #3 with a red line on it and knocked it into the heather the other night. Found it, chipped out, played onto the green then went up to mark it. It was now a Pro V1x #2 with a red line on it. Does that count in the context of this thread? :oops:

Clearly not, when did you ever "chip out" ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You must have hit it pretty hard... :unsure:

I had this in foursomes match. My PP preferred a harder ball but when we got to the windy par 3 12th I said I was switching it for a Pro V for my tee shot. Oppo kicked up stink "You can't do that, you have to play the one ball all the way round". What nonsense, it was not a 1 ball ranking comp just our club knockout. Both first team players and should know better, they said I could do it but we'd have to check when we got back and we could lose the match outright if I was wrong.

I said fine if you're going to prevent me from doing it I'll play on with this one (that we were already playing with). Every shot I hit after was 100% concentration and I rolled in some long putts I'd never hole normally. From 1 down at the 12th we won 3&2 and they didn't even hang around for a drink after so we could ask what the rule was. Soon after 1 of them was barred from the club for being inappropriate towards staff so I felt vindicated that it wasn't just me thought he was an utter :censored:

Fill your boots chap. ;)