Changing all penalty area posts to red.

IanMcC

Visit site
Our greenkeeper wants to change all of our yellow penalty areas to red. Anything I should be wary of here? Is it a standard practice these days?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the problems with this is how to take relief.

17.1 Options for Ball in Penalty Area
Penalty areas are defined as either red or yellow. This affects the player’s relief options (see Rule 17.1d).

I would suggest he and the committee read Rule 17 thoroughly.

IanMcC

Visit site
One of the problems with this is how to take relief.

17.1 Options for Ball in Penalty Area
Penalty areas are defined as either red or yellow. This affects the player’s relief options (see Rule 17.1d).

I would suggest he and the committee read Rule 17 thoroughly.
We are aware of the rule. We are also aware of the bit that says 'Committees will be given the discretion to mark all penalty areas as red so that lateral relief will always be allowed.' This initiative from our head groundsman came about chiefly from an R&A Juniors comp we held recently in the Faldo series. The referees wanted all of the penalty areas red to avoid confusion. Searching online, I see that many golf courses have taken this option, under R&A guidance. I was only wondering if any others on here have undergone similar changes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our course we really have only one place which was and still is marked with yellow posts all other areas are red.

Still see a lot of yellows on the tours on the TV. Notably with 'greenside' water.

D

Deleted member 16999

We went to all Red Areas when the rule changed, absolutely no issues and as stated it gives people playing the course an extra option.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have two holes where ditches run at right angles across the fairway so were previously yellow. All other water hazards were red. We decided not to incur the bother changing the yellows until the next time the posts were to be painted as the additional relief option could never be utilised. All our PAs will be red for next season.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
same at our club, all penalty areas changed to red penalty areas. the ones who noticed appreciated the change

D

Deleted member 1147

Whenever we host open qualifying, Faldo series, clutch tour, women’s pga etc they make all hazards red stakes. But as soon as they leave we put them back to yellow.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have water in play on 14 holes, and went to all red penalty areas with the rules changes. I reckon 80% of our membership never even noticed or understood.