Central heating

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One for the heating engineers.
I have noticed recently that my bathroom radiators (both bathrooms) are on 24 7. In this heat that makes it pretty unbearable in there!
I know that the one in my bathroom is a bypass for the rest of the heating, as I plumbed it in years ago. So if this is hot, the heating is on everywhere, but the trvs are keeping the other rads off.
I can turn off the hot water, and heating on the programmer, but the bathroom is still on. I can remove the programmer from the wall, also no difference. The boiler and pump are still on.
What the heck is going on?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Frost stat is an interesting one. I wonder if I have one! If so, that could be it.

I will have to get up in the loft and have a look. ( the boiler, pump, and tank are up there)

The motorised valve should be disconnected when I took the programmer off.

DCB

Visit site
The motorised valve may have failed and still be in an open condition Murph. It's easy to change the wee synchronous motor in the valve and it should be okay.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I guess I'm going to have to brave the loft then.

It'll only be about 40 degrees, and there's only the usual 4 wasp nests up there!

At least there aren't any hornets this year. Yet.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Frost stat is an interesting one. I wonder if I have one! If so, that could be it.

I will have to get up in the loft and have a look. ( the boiler, pump, and tank are up there)

The motorised valve should be disconnected when I took the programmer off.

There's usually a permanent live and a switch wire at the valve when the boiler main switched is on, even without the programmer being in place.
If there is a frost stat , it should be set at 5*C.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

It sounds like the zone valve is jammed open or its wired incorrectly.

The pump should only run when it's called for by programmer.

Post a couple of pictures if you can.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, I will have a look at the weekend, when hopefully it will be a few degrees cooler.

Thanks Ian, every now and then I do manage the loft without falling out!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess I'm going to have to brave the loft then.

It'll only be about 40 degrees, and there's only the usual 4 wasp nests up there!

At least there aren't any hornets this year. Yet.

To stop wasps nesting in the loft you should nail three or four yellow or orange tennis balls on your joists. In doing so, when wasps arrive again to build a nest they'll think there are already a few nests and they'll generally go and look elsewhere!
Do this in the autumn when the wasps have left their current nests.
Good luck.
Oh, the same applies to garden sheds!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well, I'm about to find out, as I have just called for one, and the out of hours rate is not pretty.

It's a zone Vale that has failed. The motor is naffed, which would be easy enough but the rest of it doesn't look in the best condition.

But, there is also yet another water leak up there. The plumbing in this house is a nightmare. There is a poly pipe tee, with two lots of 22 copper, and one 15mm plastic pipe leaking like a sieve. I still haven't fixed the ceiling from the last two Leaks! I hate plastic pipe. What's wrong with some good old copper wrangling. So far I have had two check valves fail, and two separate Leaks from plastic connectors.

I can do basic plumbing myself, but this is a mess.

Good news, I haven't seen any wasps. Yet.

D

Deleted member 1740

Well, I'm about to find out, as I have just called for one, and the out of hours rate is not pretty.

It's a zone Vale that has failed. The motor is naffed, which would be easy enough but the rest of it doesn't look in the best condition.

But, there is also yet another water leak up there. The plumbing in this house is a nightmare. There is a poly pipe tee, with two lots of 22 copper, and one 15mm plastic pipe leaking like a sieve. I still haven't fixed the ceiling from the last two Leaks! I hate plastic pipe. What's wrong with some good old copper wrangling. So far I have had two check valves fail, and two separate Leaks from plastic connectors.

I can do basic plumbing myself, but this is a mess.

Good news, I haven't seen any wasps. Yet.

So do I.

Plastic pipe is for DIY'ers and blag plumbers who can't sweat joints and/or can't use a pipe bender. I've fixed loads of that stuff.