Best replacement for an immersion heater?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Following on from the electric radiators, next job is to replace an ancient immersion heater which was rated "very poor" when we got the EPC (as was the heating).

Again, am looking to keep costs down while going for an efficient replacement.

Is it just a case of putting a new immersion heater in, or are there better alternatives out there? (flat is all-electric).

(next job after this is to replace the bathroom, this flat is costing me a fortune o_O )

D

Deleted member 1740

What sort of tank do you have, vented or unvented?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I presume you mean the whole water heating system.

I bet the EPC was poor because the assessor had no idea of what he was looking at (to be honest neither do I really ) and was expecting to see a standard hot water tank with a very thick factory applied insulation outer layer

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I presume you mean the whole water heating system.

I bet the EPC was poor because the assessor had no idea of what he was looking at (to be honest neither do I really ) and was expecting to see a standard hot water tank with a very thick factory applied insulation outer layer
Yes. It's about 25 years old and doesn't seem very efficient.

There is another flat in the same block just gone up for sale. I had a look online just out of interest, and the EPC is exactly the same as our flat, done by the same bloke. I don't know how much they charge, but it looks like money for old rope.

Funnily enough, they both recommend upgrading the heating to save energy, but there is no recommendation for the hot water system, even though its rated very poor.

I had a chat about the hot water system with a plumber I've used before and he advised me I'd be better off getting a heating engineer to look at it and quote for a new system.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had a heating engineer / plumber out this week.

His diagnosis is that the heat exchanger isn't working so it's a case of getting a replacement, which he reckons could be impossible to source, and even if he can get one, may be very expensive and throwing good money after bad, or putting in a new system.

We agreed that he will look at both options and get back to me.

Heard back yesterday. He says they can't source the heat exchanger. He has quoted 2.5k for a new system. The system he has quoted for was a new Gledhill one. I've queried if that is the best option, as he had been saying Gledhills are over complicated, go wrong frequently and are expensive to fix.

No response yet, however I have googled the relevant heat exchanger and cam see they are widely available for £130-£140.

I've therefore lost confidence in him, and will now need to look for someone else. Very annoying.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a heating engineer / plumber out this week.

His diagnosis is that the heat exchanger isn't working so it's a case of getting a replacement, which he reckons could be impossible to source, and even if he can get one, may be very expensive and throwing good money after bad, or putting in a new system.

We agreed that he will look at both options and get back to me.

Heard back yesterday. He says they can't source the heat exchanger. He has quoted 2.5k for a new system. The system he has quoted for was a new Gledhill one. I've queried if that is the best option, as he had been saying Gledhills are over complicated, go wrong frequently and are expensive to fix.

No response yet, however I have googled the relevant heat exchanger and cam see they are widely available for £130-£140.

I've therefore lost confidence in him, and will now need to look for someone else. Very annoying.
Google can be very misleading.
I had a customer want her oven repaired, the hinges were shot but are obsolete from the manufacturer and all the spares supplier I use. She said she could get them after looking at Google. After 3 attempts and gettig the wrong parts each time, she finally agreed I knew what I was talking about.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a customer want her oven repaired, the hinges were shot but are obsolete from the manufacturer and all the spares supplier I use. She said she could get them after looking at Google. After 3 attempts and gettig the wrong parts each time, she finally agreed I knew what I was talking about.
This all day long!
My kitchen taps were leaking (Bristan) so I went on Amazon to order replacement valves. Looked at the reviews and they were all positive except one. A plumber warned that the size was wrong and advised against getting them.
Silly me went and ordered them. Although they fitted OK but we're about 2mm too big which made them stick out and look awful.
So I thought I'd contact Bristan. After chatting to the advisor he asked for a number stamped on the back of the tap collar. Was a bit awkward to read and send him a pic. The last two numbers were 18, which he said tells me that they were 2018 stock. And that the tap was still in guarantee and he would send me correct replacements foc.
So lesson learned there!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I take your point, however a couple of the websites I’ve seen the heat exchanger on specifically say it is for the exact model of heater we have.

I haven’t mentioned that to the engineer as I really wanted to know why he was recommending a brand he was rubbishing earlier in the week.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take your point, however a couple of the websites I’ve seen the heat exchanger on specifically say it is for the exact model of heater we have.

I haven’t mentioned that to the engineer as I really wanted to know why he was recommending a brand he was rubbishing earlier in the week.
I don't do boilers or anything to do with them, thankfully. However, if the spare is available perhaps the total repair cost on something you say is about 25 years old makes it an uneconomical repair. Perhaps the part is an absolute nightmare to replace and takes an age to do....I don't know. I am just offering idea's to perhaps consider before anything is said that might sully your relationship with the chap.
One thing I did learn recently, is that if heating is put in the communal areas of flats, the EPC rating of the flats also drops.

D

Deleted member 1740

This all day long!
My kitchen taps were leaking (Bristan) so I went on Amazon to order replacement valves. Looked at the reviews and they were all positive except one. A plumber warned that the size was wrong and advised against getting them.
Silly me went and ordered them. Although they fitted OK but we're about 2mm too big which made them stick out and look awful.
So I thought I'd contact Bristan. After chatting to the advisor he asked for a number stamped on the back of the tap collar. Was a bit awkward to read and send him a pic. The last two numbers were 18, which he said tells me that they were 2018 stock. And that the tap was still in guarantee and he would send me correct replacements foc.
So lesson learned there!
Bristan are a excellent brand, A little bit more expensive than other brands but great customer service back up.

D

Deleted member 1740

As an engineer i try to be as honest as possible and offer the best advice whether it benefits me or not.

I would be honest with him and ask him what he thinks.

Buying online is a ballache for this type of stuff.

If you send me the part number/serial number of your system i will get the lad in the merchants i use whose pretty good at this to try and source it for if you want.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't do boilers or anything to do with them, thankfully. However, if the spare is available perhaps the total repair cost on something you say is about 25 years old makes it an uneconomical repair. Perhaps the part is an absolute nightmare to replace and takes an age to do....I don't know. I am just offering idea's to perhaps consider before anything is said that might sully your relationship with the chap.
One thing I did learn recently, is that if heating is put in the communal areas of flats, the EPC rating of the flats also drops.
I did say to him that I didn't particularly want to throw good money after bad, so we agreed he would price up putting in a new heat exchanger vs the cost of a new system.

I've googled the heater he has recommended. It retails at £1300-£1500 so he's factored in £1000-£1200 to do the install. According to checkatrade, the average time to install an immersion heater is 1-2 hours to half a day, so even allowing the same to drain and remove the old one, what he is charging for the install looks steep.

D

Deleted member 1740

I did say to him that I didn't particularly want to throw good money after bad, so we agreed he would price up putting in a new heat exchanger vs the cost of a new system.

I've googled the heater he has recommended. It retails at £1300-£1500 so he's factored in £1000-£1200 to do the install. According to checkatrade, the average time to install an immersion heater is 1-2 hours to half a day, so even allowing the same to drain and remove the old one, what he is charging for the install looks steep.
In my opinion his quote is reasonable for that sort of job.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

If it retails for £1300 he will only be paying £1000 max from the wholesaler.

I think you need another quote. The guy you are dealing with may have a lot of work on and is just bumping his prices up thinking he doesn’t really want the job but if he can get £12/1300 a day it would be too good to turn down.