Centenary Celebrations Ideas?

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some forum brainstorming wouldn't go amiss chaps & chapesses.

We're a small 9 hole club, we don't have a clubhouse, though we can at times use the village hall for events which is a decent size.

What sort of fund-raising have your clubs done? What types of things have been presented to members as mementos? Anything else?

Love to hear some ideas.

D

Deleted member 16999

We made contact with other Clubs celebrating their Centenary and set up both a triangular match (which is still going 8 years later) and members of those Clubs were offered a couple of free rounds over the next 2 years at each others Club (nobody kicked the ar5e out of it)
We also arranged for members to play a round with 100yr old clubs and were encouraged to dress accordingly, all Clubhouse Staff dressed accordingly and the food was all based on 100yr old recipes etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This goes back to a previous club, a 9 hole as well. Race nights are a good fundraiser. One captain had a marquee dinner dance by the 1st tee as the small clubhouse would not have accommodated everyone. That was different and well received.

It has just celebrated its 150th birthday, they had friendly games with a neighbouring club it evolved from, all living past captain's had a game and meal, nice photos from that. No mementos for members, money is not that free and easy.

Paul's post is a good one, some nice ideas there.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless you have any founder members 😉 I wouldn’t be extravagant with mementos. Our club commissioned a book of the club history. Genuinely, I’d rather have a towel, ball marker or bag tag.

I think taking the opportunity to link up with other centenary clubs is a great idea.👍

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My old club got some wine labled up from a vinyard in France and sold it throughout the year and used it at any social events. Made good money and tasted great.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are lucky enough to have a reasonable sized clubhouse so when we turned 100 (and 125) we had a week of events including a mens and ladies open and invited captains from other clubs also celebrating 100 years. We also had a ball in the summer. I know the OP has no access to a clubhouse but hopefully the village hall would suffice or perhaps a marquee attached outside

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Some forum brainstorming wouldn't go amiss chaps & chapesses.

We're a small 9 hole club, we don't have a clubhouse, though we can at times use the village hall for events which is a decent size.

What sort of fund-raising have your clubs done? What types of things have been presented to members as mementos? Anything else?

Love to hear some ideas.

Might be a bit late, but my clubs centenary is in a couple of years so I was thinking about this.

I would suggest having a few 'extra' competitions in the years before the centenary with a few pounds additional entry donated to the centenary fund. Maybe ask for donations as well. Then I'd get a few really nice medals made up. Male and female (if your club has 2 sections) or maybe a gold and silver for 1st and 2nd.

Then hold a competition on the actual day of the centenary... accept that it would be tough for most clubs not to make this a weekend. Maybe even have it a 36 holer with a Saturday / Sunday event to ensure the winner is deserving and has earned the medal. On the day obviously the winners get the medals for keeps. Use the entry fees, raffle money, donations to get a nice trophy made up 'The Centenary Trophy' that people can play for on that weekend every year.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A previous club went down the route of getting a small book of the club's history printed and offered for a few £ to members. Apart from a few buyers they couldn't give them away. A centenary comp with BBQ afterwards went down very well. Various local people were invited, and it was a very surprising and popular guest list. For example, the local postie and his wife were invited, as was the local baker and her husband. The head of the local primary school and her husband were another couple as well as the obvious ones like the mayor.

Engaging with the local community really added something to the day.

sunshine

Visit site
Build a clubhouse for the centenary, it's overdue!

Apply for lottery funding, Make sure it is accessible and sell it as a community centre

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We made contact with other Clubs celebrating their Centenary and set up both a triangular match (which is still going 8 years later) and members of those Clubs were offered a couple of free rounds over the next 2 years at each others Club (nobody kicked the ar5e out of it)
We also arranged for members to play a round with 100yr old clubs and were encouraged to dress accordingly, all Clubhouse Staff dressed accordingly and the food was all based on 100yr old recipes etc.
Paul, this is proving hard, where did you get a list of founded years for clubs?

D

Deleted member 16999

A quick google found these lot in the UK.
Retford GC

Tinsley Park

Rochester & Cobham GC

Sandiway GC

Hillsborough GC

Greenmount GC

Liberton GC

Thorndon Park GC

Not sure if you’re on the list or any are local.