Celtic Manor

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I am playing the Twenty Ten course and the Montgomerie course next week.

Anyone played them recently? Any comments/tips

Do they have tees of the day? Or is it a choice of yellows or whites? (Yellows for us!)

I play off 21 so not expecting too much as always but just want to enjoy the experience.

Thanks

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I walked around 2010 on Friday it was in great nick and is a nice enough course

You’ll be off yellows and it take over 5hrs to get round (and they seem fine with it)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the 2010 the winter after the Ryder Cup. Enjoyed it, did the Ryder Cup Experience - great facilities etc, expensive food and drink as you'd expect

2010 course was nice but tough (for us) even off yellows, don't think we were given a choice of tees

Always said we'd go back and play it in the Summer but haven't... yet (course was very wet and heavy in the winter)

Montgomery course looks very hilly if I'm not mistaken but looks nuce enough

Have a great trip :thup:

PS yes it wll be 5+ hour rounds but there's worse places to be!

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played both and they are great courses.

I love the 2010 course as it’s a real challenge but pretty fair too. Played it in April and it was boggy but should be fine now.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was a bit disappointed by the first on the Montgomery. It is a nothing hole, and I felt a bit flat, after playing the 2010. The rest of it is fine though. I am going back in July.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking, well to be honest, wife is thinking, to play there, but I reckon here are better places to play for the same money. Would I be right?

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played 2010 last year for a mates 50th

Got a good deal, great experience from start to finish

Lovely touches, bag tag, cleaning clubs, names on lockers.

Looking at the locker names, a couple of groups behind us were a certain Mr C Bellamy & Mr A Ramsey

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some cracking deals to be had had Crazy... get on their mailing list or see YGT/Golfbreaks etc.

Monty Course has some great holes (mainly the old Wentwood Hills course holes, and some forgettable ones) Its a tough walk and buggies are "on paths only" so choose wisely. 2010 is a great experience, and if you get it in good nick, fun to play.

Off 21 all I would say is "use your shots!" Several par 4s where you shouldn't even try to get on in 2. If you have a good day off the tee, you can score well... if you can putt! Big greens, lots of slopes!

It's a shame that so many go to South Wales and only play Celtic Manor. Some great old parkland courses as you go west from there, and then you hit the links courses... ooh yes indeed!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was a bit disappointed by the first on the Montgomery. It is a nothing hole, and I felt a bit flat, after playing the 2010. The rest of it is fine though. I am going back in July.

As you walk down the hill past the putting green, you may have spotted the original tees on the first.......... different gravy from there!

Freewaytom

Visit site
I've been to the resort a few times, played the 2010 a couple of times and both times it hammered it down for about 30 minutes, so I would say prepare for it to rain!

Alot of people say a buggy is essential on the Montgomery, although a buggy is a great help with the hills between holes, you'll probably walk just as far as the paths tend to go the long way round, I personally prefer to walk it.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
The Celtic manor is about 30 min drive from me living in Bridgend and we really are spoilt for choice when it comes to Courses in South Wales,The twenty ten will be in top condition with the weather we’ve had the last few weeks so enjoy .

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played the 2010 the winter after the Ryder Cup. Enjoyed it, did the Ryder Cup Experience - great facilities etc, expensive food and drink as you'd expect

2010 course was nice but tough (for us) even off yellows, don't think we were given a choice of tees

Always said we'd go back and play it in the Summer but haven't... yet (course was very wet and heavy in the winter)

Montgomery course looks very hilly if I'm not mistaken but looks nuce enough

Have a great trip :thup:

PS yes it wll be 5+ hour rounds but there's worse places to be!

thanks - fully expectng a five hour round but we a not in a rush. We play Twenty Ten before staying at the Coldra Court Hotel then just home after the Montgomorie

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks - fully expectng a five hour round but we a not in a rush. We play Twenty Ten before staying at the Coldra Court Hotel then just home after the Montgomorie

What day are you playing the 2010? I’m playing it again on Monday.

in my opinion the 2010 is more than just the course, it’s the whole experience. You will have a great time

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the 2010 last week and its in great shape, played it off the whites in the Mizuno pairs event and it was brutal 440 yard par 4s with no shots are no fun!

Enjoy the place, it sometimes gets slated but I find the course to be a beautiful place with every hole a different challenge.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some cracking deals to be had had Crazy... get on their mailing list or see YGT/Golfbreaks etc.

Monty Course has some great holes (mainly the old Wentwood Hills course holes, and some forgettable ones) Its a tough walk and buggies are "on paths only" so choose wisely. 2010 is a great experience, and if you get it in good nick, fun to play.

Off 21 all I would say is "use your shots!" Several par 4s where you shouldn't even try to get on in 2. If you have a good day off the tee, you can score well... if you can putt! Big greens, lots of slopes!

It's a shame that so many go to South Wales and only play Celtic Manor. Some great old parkland courses as you go west from there, and then you hit the links courses... ooh yes indeed!

Thanks - good advice about playing the par 4s to get on in 3 something I don’t do enough

Greens sound like they will be fun 😀 with the odd 3 putt or more

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What day are you playing the 2010? I’m playing it again on Monday.

in my opinion the 2010 is more than just the course, it’s the whole experience. You will have a great time

Playing 2010 next Thursday. Planning to get there for lunch before 2pm tee off

Good luck on Monday

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking, well to be honest, wife is thinking, to play there, but I reckon here are better places to play for the same money. Would I be right?

I would say so. I've played the Montgomery and Roman Road. To tell you the truth, I can't actually remember one hole from either course so that probably says it all in terms of my opinion on the place. The only thing I remember was a course marshall on one par 3, and if your entire 4 ball hits the green you all win voucher for a free four ball. My mate missed the green twice and he gave him another chance and we ended up with the voucher!

For the same or less money theres some lovely other course in the area, Radyr, Wenvoe Castle, the Rolls of Monmouth, or if you want to head further West, Neath, Pennard, The Ashburnham,.