Celtic Manor

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It really depends on where the tees are. Last time I played it in March they put them tight on the right hand side so there was no line. If they are on the left it definitely is

thanks - it would be rude not to give it a go if they are on the left. Obviously chances of hitting the perfce drive <5% but you never know!

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
does anybody know if the 15th is actually driveable?

We all tried, I got fairly close, doubt I could now though

This was off the yellows though which were up a bit and IIRC it was easier to go for the green than down the left (and more fun!)

As others have said, it depends what tees you're off and where they're placed

Thinking about it is making me want to play it again!

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
For me it's one of the best Championship courses for a club golfer. All of the holes are very playable, you don't require a driver off every Par 4 and the greens were the best I have ever played on, nice walk too. Enjoy.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Roman Road today...£18 as members guest...fairway watering used to great effect, course was in great shape.

BUt, what about the changes to 16 and 17? Ok, lessened the trek fro. 15th, but nit sure about the 17th...it’s a bit Of a Frankenstein’s Monster

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I live about 30mins from the Celtic manor and even though I’ve been there I don’t know how many times I’ve only played the twenty ten.I got a voucher to use by November to play either the Roman roads or monty which course would you recommend ?both should be in top condition with this hot dry spell so don’t know what one to play .

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Monty is a great course, however, I haven’t played the Roman so can’t directly compare the two.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have also only played the 2010 and the Monty. The first two on the Monty are a bit naff, after which it is a nice golf course.

Take a buggy, it's a hard walk.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I prefer the Roman. It has fewer poor holes and is an easier walk. The Monty’s best holes are very good, the weaker ones, are weak! (In my view). But if you ask the members, there will be mixed views on which is the better.

But, buggies are not allowed off the cart paths, so some walk if you are on the other side of the fairway..... most members walk with lecky trollies!

Good place for a day out, I wouldn’t join it!

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry for bringing up an old topic :)

Me and the better half are playing here next week and was wondering where best to get something to eat away from the resort?

Someone on here recommend an Indian but for the love of me I can’t remember what it’s called :)

Cheers

IanM

Journeyman Pro
A few pubs along the A48 towards Chepstow are decent... Rock and Fountain, The Groes Wen Inn....
"The Pod" by the river in Newport Centre is trendier than average for there.
My favourte Indian is the Indian Empire, but that's up towards Chepstow quite a way, just before you get to St Pierre.. I dont do the ones in 'port as that's our local one.

Celtic own the Newbridge on Usk pub which is meant to be decent, resort transport is available to get there too....
White Hary at Llangybi used to be worth a visit, although not been for a while..
...depends on what you like, there are some great places a bit further out!

Last edited:

steviep

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In Caerleon you've got The Priory and the Bell Inn. I've always had good food when I've gone there, but if I'm being honest I haven't been to either for a few years.

I can vouch for the Indian Empire that IanM mentioned, had a few good meals there recently.