Categories for Number of Posts

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sam, as a great Liverpudlian prophet once said

'MY ARSE'

You have been on a month and have posted 36 opinions. That is the same reason we all do it. You get some fan dans like me who probably post too often when I should eff off for a week or so but I enjoy the forum and would rather converse with guys on here than sit and watch soaps which drain the life right out of me.

Keep the faith and for FFS don't put your contribution down.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sam, as a great Liverpudlian prophet once said

'MY ARSE'

You have been on a month and have posted 36 opinions. That is the same reason we all do it. You get some fan dans like me who probably post too often when I should eff off for a week or so but I enjoy the forum and would rather converse with guys on here than sit and watch soaps which drain the life right out of me.

Keep the faith and for FFS don't put your contribution down.

seconded.

Like the handicap system an open forum is a great leveller.

When the telly starts showing live coverage of naked playboy model golf and offering free beer tokens rather than Nerris from Dudley bleeting on about putting a swimming pool in her coal scuttle I might watch more.

Until then 'puter says yes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this is one to hand over to the guys at mighty GM towers. It may involve a lot of additional work over and above producing the single greatest monthly magazine about the best sport in the world.

I'm more than happy to pay for one. Not sure they should be available to joe public though so not sure how we'd organise shipping costs and processing applications

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a member of an astra forum (full member) and on there we pay somethin like £15 for the first year and £10 a year after. For that you get a goody bag, Pens key rings decals newsletters, Official memebrship card and trade discount at most vauxhall dealers. You also get better privalages on the forum, i.e more inbox space, bigger space on ya profile to store pictures etc. There is even a members only section of the forum. And under your name Full member is displayed in gold.

Maybe this could be done on here when/if the forum is updated. I for one wouldnt mind making a small contribution to the site to show my support, and the bag tag could possibly be thrown in with maybe a few tee's or a membership card etc. And a for sale/wanted section could be used by memebers only, (i.e paying memebers only can post ad's)

That way you could eliminate post counts and jibberish would be cut.

Or if not, maybe ya status could be decided by how long you have been a memeber and thats it. Simple, inactivity for 3 months or something could see you back to a newbie.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a member of an astra forum (full member) and on there we pay somethin like £15 for the first year and £10 a year after. For that you get a goody bag, Pens key rings decals newsletters, Official memebrship card and trade discount at most vauxhall dealers. You also get better privalages on the forum, i.e more inbox space, bigger space on ya profile to store pictures etc. There is even a members only section of the forum. And under your name Full member is displayed in gold.

'Ere. Hang on a minute. Where are we going with this?

Most of us forumers are fully paid-up GM buyers either by subscription or monthly purchase. OK there are probably some pon3ers who have hitchhiked the forum without regular purchases but they shouldn't have any say anyway. GM have freely given us and the pon3ers this opportunity of joining and developing a virtual clubhouse and I for one am grateful to them for this.

I'm sure that they had no intention of getting any direct revenue from forum members. I certainly don't want a goodie bag with unwanted tat, my "newsletter" and membership card come in the post every month. I've got all the "privileges" I need and gold was never my colour :)

Sorry to have followed the off-thread direction.

Coming back to the subject. In the scheme of things does it really matter what we call the categories? Personally I have no problem with the current system as it is non-discriminatory (eg as would be high/mid/low/pro h/hap etc) and you can get an instant impression as to how involved the respondant has been in the past by looking at not only their category but also their joining date.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you think that Stranger, Newbie, Enthusiast etc are a bit naff for a Golf Forum? Couldn't really use handicap 'cos could confuse but how about Double Bogey, Bogey, Par, Birdie, Eagle, Albatross, Hole in One? Any better ideas?

I have actually given it a little thought and put up the following as a suggestion although I'm getting uncomfortably close to the 7th.

How about just 1 to 7.
(With apologies to Bill Shakespeare)

The Seven Ages of Man (GM foruming)

All the world's a golf course,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their greens and their tees,
And one man in his time plays many shots,
His swing being seven ages.

At first, the infant, mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
GAC cream fully applied and I'm still doing air shots (both ends).

Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel and shining morning face, creeping like snail unwillingly to school.
Swinging for all his worth but still missing the ball but it wasn't his fault he missed.

And then the lover, sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad made to his mistress' eyebrow.
Lusting over those new c/f irons just knowing that, if only,...

Then a soldier, full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard, jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel, seeking the bubble reputation even in the canon's mouth.
That's my handicap and I'm going to fight to protect it.

And then the justice, in fair round belly with good capon lined, with eyes severe and beard of formal cut, full of wise saws and modern instances; and so he plays his part.
Semi retired. Enjoys the good life, plays to a low teen/upper single h/cap. Doesn't take life too seriously.

The sixth age shifts into the lean and slippered pantaloon
with spectacles on nose and pouch on side; his youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide for his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice, turning again toward childish treble, pipes and whistles in his sound.
Electric trolly, plus fours, Oh God, I'm nearly there.

Last scene of all, that ends this strange eventful history,
is second childishness and mere oblivion, sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
Just spread my ashes on the 12th tee.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
all i was doing is pointing out that in our forum, ya dont get people posting shit5 to raise post counts or for that matter one post wonders like karl selling duff fluff.

With regard to the payment this is not essential, but does help to cover server space costs, print up membership cards which give yo a hell of a discount and obv other stuff that doesnt come for free, like bag tags. (its more of a donation to be honest than a subscription)

This place doesnt have to follow suit but there are some good idea's that could be taken on board here.

And as i said with regard to the post count stuff, i think it would be better to scrap a system that advertises the amount you have posted altogether. The regular members will remember each other anyway and will know who are the 'low handicappers' are and who are the 'pitch and putters'
If there is nothing to acheive by totaling up posts then people wont post pointlessly.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
all i was doing is pointing out that in our forum, ya dont get people posting shit5 to raise post counts

I would refer the honourable gentleman to my (sometimes not well received) previous posts on this subject.

There are some whose posts are many, varied, apposite, interesting and humourous and very welcome. Others have imho in the past seemed to post anything (with, it has to be said occasional gems), just to get their count up. Recently this seems to have been moderated and our forum is better for it.

'ow's about keeping things as they are? All friendly.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tbh i dont care what happens with the post count system, if i am totally honest, i am not that a**ed if ppl try bump there post count up. If it is just rubbish they are posting, i will ignore it and move on to the next. Seeing as other ppl mentioned it, other ppl must be bothered by it and i thought i would make a few suggestions incase the bigwigs decide to act. If the suggestions are a load of cack to you, just forget about them. I would stand with you in keeping things how they are if thats what everyone wanted.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
all i was doing is pointing out that in our forum, ya dont get people posting shit5 to raise post counts

I would refer the honourable gentleman to my (sometimes not well received) previous posts on this subject.

There are some whose posts are many, varied, apposite, interesting and humourous and very welcome. Others have imho in the past seemed to post anything (with, it has to be said occasional gems), just to get their count up. Recently this seems to have been moderated and our forum is better for it.

'ow's about keeping things as they are? All friendly.

Can we just shake hands and amicably agree to differ on this gentlemen?

Ive been involved in heated, unnecissary and unpleasant conflict on here recently(for which I freely admit half the blame) and while I support and endorse an open and frank exchange of ideas I would suggest we reserve our venom against the likes of rogue elements as we would were we to be having a pint in our local clubhouse.

Would hate to see two members who's input and opinion I respect tear themselves apart over what is after all quite an incidental matter beyond our control.

...but then i'm just in from the pub so may not be seeing this as clearly as I might.

The value of the forum remains beyond doubt.

Opinion as to the finer points of it's method of recognition remains divided.

Lets not turn this into a 'custom fit' stand-off.

bill

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy way to stop people like Karl advertising on hear is for your first 25 posts be moderated by GM.

Bag tags are and excellent idea and should be awarded for length of active time on forum and not posts.

Dont really want to pay a fee to use the forum.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I honestly cant believe that you guys are still banging on about this subject... I didnt realise it was that big a debate!!! Maybe you should all propose your ideas in writing to 10 downing street and see what the Prime Idiot Minister comes up with!!!!