casual or not casual water

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
Had the fortune of playing a couple of courses at the Algarve couple of weeks ago. We booked early morning tees at first light each day.

We played a couple of holes with the sprinklers still running on the course. Luckily none of us hit our ball into the path of the spraying water. But we wondered what the rule would be if we had.

My view was; if we did land in the spaying area, it should be treated as casual water. My son in laws opinion was casual water was under foot and not water spraying on your head and back. Although we all agreed at the start to play it be accepted as casual water, were we right?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your SIL is correct. Casual water is a ground condition and exists when you stand on ground and water rises from it (or is already there, obviously). What you are describing is not covered by am rule I am aware of. Just consider it as a localised rain shower.

However, if you were paying for the entire holiday, including his costs, then under equity you have the right to overrule him and do what you like.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was informed (wrongly I believe) that it's only casual water if the water comes over the tops of your shoes!!

If it's THAT wet, I'm off home!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
S-I-L correct.

From definitions in the rule book:- Casual water" is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance. Snow and natural ice, other than frost, are either casual water or loose impediments, at the option of the player. Manufactured ice is an obstruction. Dew and frost are not casual water.
A ball is in casual water when it lies in or any part of it touches the casual water.
(my underlines - and my view that whilst thw water is still airborne, it's neither a "temporary accumulation", nor "on the course")

And no, it doesn't have to cover your shoes... As long as it's visible as a wet patch either before or after you take your stance, it counts as CW.

So in the scenario of the OP, if one was prepared to stand under the shower from the sprinkler, (and they'd been on for a little bit) chances are that you'd see some puddling around your feet as you were addressing the ball. But is that what you want from holiday golf? For a casual game, I'd have done the same and agreed to kick the ball aside and carry on