Casey or McIntyre in Dubai?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just hope the world of golf, us included, aren't heaping too much pressure on RobMac...
He has the potential, no doubt about that.
He's won
He's had some good finishes
He's in the Top 50.
And we get told this every time we see him.
He's not the first in this position and he won't be the last

I'm not saying he'll crash and burn but I'm not saying he's going to rule the world either.
Let him get on with doing what he's doing - learning his trade

If he's good enough, by this time next year, he will have won again and risen in the rankings.
He has some way to go before he'll be in a position to win on a day like today.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just hope the world of golf, us included, aren't heaping too much pressure on RobMac...
He has the potential, no doubt about that.
He's won
He's had some good finishes
He's in the Top 50.
And we get told this every time we see him.
He's not the first in this position and he won't be the last

I'm not saying he'll crash and burn but I'm not saying he's going to rule the world either.
Let him get on with doing what he's doing - learning his trade

If he's good enough, by this time next year, he will have won again and risen in the rankings.
He has some way to go before he'll be in a position to win on a day like today.

Good post

Not many folk realise that he was projected to win the 2020 order of merit at one stage when he was leading on the 3rd [or 4th round]

U

User62651

Obviously we all know golf is incredibly difficult and it's easy to watch TV and criticise, but MacIntyre made a couple of schoolboy errors.

Dunking it short into the water on 9, with the world behind the pin, and then 3 putting from 4 foot on 10 put him out of contention. A top, top player just wouldn't have done either.

The bold bit is wrong, seen McIlroy, Mickelson, Norman, Ballesteros, Scott, Casey too and scores of top pros over the years make shot choice and execution errors on the back 9 Sunday.
Today pressure and inexperience perhaps kicked in compared to rds 1-3, that's where good caddies should step up to help make shot selection.
3 putts from close in always looks ugly but it happens regularly to loads of tour players. All you can do is keep working, knocking on the door and hope that you'll get your turn.
I think Macintyres progress is still good, not been on tour long but a lot of top tens and a great 6th at Portrush in mean conditions.
See if he can do well again next week.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like Bob Mac. He seems really down to earth an humble. You learn a lot about him when he was on the The Open Podcast.
I hope he goes on to good and greater things...

I'm a big fan of Bob Mac - I first came across him 7 years ago when he was warming up for a local tournament (Henry Cooper Junior Masters at Nizels) next to me at the local driving range. I'd never seen someone hit the ball like that, it was amazing - but more than that, he wasn't one of those kids I see all too often at the driving range doing their thing in stoney silence, ear phones in, emulating what they think the pros do....he was having fun, taking his warm up seriously, but talking and joking with the Scotland golf coaches and his team mates. I thought that was great.

He absolutely smashed that tournament, 15 under par for 4 rounds, 6 shots clear of the rest of the field. I've followed his progress ever since.

His strength in my opinion is his consistency - he's always in and around the top 25, rarely misses a cut, he's very good in difficult conditions. See the British Masters and the Open a couple of years ago, same in the Made in Denmark in 2019.

He's not someone that wins a lot of tournaments though - he didn't win during his year on the Challenge Tour and he's only got one win to his name on the European Tour. He's continuing to develop and there's no doubt he'll win a good few European tour events in the coming years, but I think his main strength will continue to be his consistency. Personal view is that he's most likely to win a big tournament coming from behind and posting a club house lead - but the more experience he has of being in a winning position the more likely it is that he'll win one. That short putt that stayed out the other day caused the ball in the water on the next hole, but he's learning.

Going back to my first paragraph, his attitude and personality are a breath of fresh air - he's certainly not a typical US PGA Tour clone. Probably why it didn't work out for him at Uni in the US.

Good luck, Bob. I'll be rooting for you!