Carpet putting?

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

With the evenings closing in I have been doing lot of carpet putting. I have a CD and have coloured the edge in so that the "hole" is 4.25". I move it from place to place as the carpet is old and you can see some boards and shape under the carpet. I feel like it is really helping but until I can get to a proper green I will now know.

Do you guys do this and do you find it helps?

thanks all

Al

A

Alex1975

I assume you are practising with your V-Easy ? :)

Although Bob is my forum hero I am sorry to say I dont have one. Once I have payed the golf club and some change for the driving range and new gloves and the odd lesson im SKINT. I have been trying to get money for new irons for about 18 months now. Having said that in that time I have changed every wood in my bag via gifts so I cant cry too much.

Anyways for now its carpet putting, its free and I can do it at home, but is it helping?

A

Alex1975

I have slowed my take away down and it seems to have helped keep the ball online. My stroke feels good now. My biggest problem with my putting has been that I am a chicken, I leave everything short but I cant keep giving shots away like that.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I carpet putt.

I use an upturned castle tee and putt to that instead. The aim is to knock the tee over. My theory is that putting towards a tee will make putting to a full sized hole seem like I'm putting towards a massive target.

As richart said, it's good stroke practise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I haven't practiced for a while much to my chagrin and I need to get back into the routine as the stroke is beginning to let me down on the course. I might take the V-Easy with me on Saturday and have a go before I go out. I tend to get lazy if I putt on the carpet unless I'm using something like the Pathfinder where I get instant feedback if I make a poor stroke

A

Alex1975

I haven't practiced for a while much to my chagrin and I need to get back into the routine as the stroke is beginning to let me down on the course. I might take the V-Easy with me on Saturday and have a go before I go out. I tend to get lazy if I putt on the carpet unless I'm using something like the Pathfinder where I get instant feedback if I make a poor stroke

Lazy how please?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have slowed my take away down and it seems to have helped keep the ball online. My stroke feels good now. My biggest problem with my putting has been that I am a chicken, I leave everything short but I cant keep giving shots away like that.

Consistently leaving it short could be down to decelerating the putter head. Try and keep the same speed back and through, and just increase the length of your stroke. A lot of people i play with seem to have one length of stroke,and especially on short putts quit on the stroke.

A

Alex1975

Consistently leaving it short could be down to decelerating the putter head. Try and keep the same speed back and through, and just increase the length of your stroke. A lot of people i play with seem to have one length of stroke,and especially on short putts quit on the stroke.

Hmm, ill keep an eye on that but I think its a mental thing, I think I would to the point have rather been up close than past. Ill have a little play now and try and make it the same speed back and through but this may mean me slowing my hole stroke down as I seem to have made gains with the slower takeaway.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Frankie Molinari looked like he had a case of the 'decelerations'. Fancied him to hole the four foot downhill putts, like on the 18th in the foursomes, but uphillers such as on the 16th were painful to watch. Perhaps you need to put a ramp under the carpet

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There is no real pressure and so I just get lazy in terms of set up and my stroke and I guess to some degree easily bored. I am better with the pathfinder as it irks me if I hit a peg so seem to focus much more

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
There is no real pressure and so I just get lazy in terms of set up and my stroke and I guess to some degree easily bored. I am better with the pathfinder as it irks me if I hit a peg so seem to focus much more

Make practising more competitive. Start from 3 feet and every time you hole a putt move the next one back a foot. Set your own record and then try and beat it each time you practise.

Our assistant pro does this, and he gets so mad when he misses a putt to beat his record. :mad:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've done it in the past but I don't find it helps at all.

I'll get half a dozen balls, knock the first one about 8-10' away then putt each subsequent ball at the previous one.

It seems far easier to hit a golf ball at 10' than it does aiming at a cup on a green.

It got to the point where I was hitting the previous ball with 4 or 5 out of the 5 balls but my 'real' putting didn't seem to get any better so I stopped bothering.

A

Alex1975

Would be nice to have a carpet that doesn't feel like the first cut.........

You got deep shag pile? The Mrs has asked me not to chip in the house :D

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I would to the point have rather been up close than past.

It doesn't ever go in if it doesn't reach! and if it does roll past at least you get a nice read on the line coming back (assuming you're still watching and not head back screaming at the golf Gods lol)