Careers in greenkeeping.

greensman

Club Champion
Visit site
The Bigga scale is only a recommendation, some will pay more and some less (a lot less)

Our pay scales are thus:
Qualified greenkeeper (NVQ 3) £14k- £20K
Assistant Course Manager - £20k - £25k
Course Manager / head greenkeeper - £30 -£40

However I think we are paid reasonably well compared to the national average.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the info, what does the scale (eg 14k - 20k) depend on, is it age and experience?

What would be your opinion on what a 40 year old, NVQ2 qualified GK would earn. I realise this is only your opinion for your particuar area.

Thanks.

daztabor

Visit site
Afternoon all,
I have come to a cross roads in my life I believe, I have always wanted a rewarding job that is outdoors and I think with my newish found love for golf that greenkeeping could be it!! I work 40+ hours a week in a office doing pointless work and it seems that life is drifting by, so I opened up Google for information on courses and jobs, could I find a trainee job? No, I found the course I need to do but I need to have work experience to get on the course. So I was thinking about writing a letter to the clubs nearest me stating my intentions for a career in greenkeeping and if they had any trainee vacancies available, but first I would like your advice.

-Is the above the right course of action?
-Is this an early midlife crisis? (I am 32)
-Do you know anyone who is a greenkeeper?
-Am I mad as the pay will be bad?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi just wondering how you got on with becoming a green keeper I'm looking at doing the same thing . Thanks

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
As for a basic wage, I would try to find a club that pay living wage, if they do you know you will have a better employer as they care more about your welfare. Its also £1.40 per hour more than NMW.

Also I would check how many hours are available. No point giving up your job you go for a part time position. Also if you go in as an apprentice your wage will be very low.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope your end up happy.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi just wondering how you got on with becoming a green keeper I'm looking at doing the same thing . Thanks

I doubt you will get an answer mate. This thread is 6 years old and the OP parmo hasn't logged on since Dec 2011. Might be worth posting your own thread in the lounge section.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Developing a Scottish accent seems to be one of the best ways to get ahead in the Green-Keeping profession too! :rolleyes:

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I doubt you will get an answer mate. This thread is 6 years old and the OP parmo hasn't logged on since Dec 2011. Might be worth posting your own thread in the lounge section.

Do I feel a right dope or what.

So did he go down the route of being a greenkeeper and had to sell everything to do it and now lives in a hut behind the 9th with no electricity. So thats why he hasn't logged on.