Car Tax

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In an interesting situation....
1) My car tax runs out end of Oct
2) My PCP ends Nov end
3) Just went and ordered a new one which wont be delivered till Dec first week. (the car is going as part exchange)

So the question is how do i lessen my tax (I cant SORN the car for a month as i need to run around). Can I pay tax for 1 month by DD and then cancel it when it runs out? Can i ask the PCP to be extended by a week

4) To add to the idea. I m travelling most of Dec. So I m thinking to take delivery in Jan when i return from travels (the dealer has offered to store it). That way i dont pay my first PCP payment till Jan.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the car is registered in your name, when you sell the car you notify DVLA and they send a refund for the unused period of RFL note however that a a part of a month counts as whole month.

Even at £30 a year road tax you still get a pro rata refund.

Paying monthly DD incurs a charge. I do not know if you get the charge back on a pro rata basis or still have to pay the whole charge as it is an admin charge for setting up the DD.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the car is registered in your name, when you sell the car you notify DVLA and they send a refund for the unused period of RFL note however that a a part of a month counts as whole month.

Even at £30 a year road tax you still get a pro rata refund.

Paying monthly DD incurs a charge. I do not know if you get the charge back on a pro rata basis or still have to pay the whole charge as it is an admin charge for setting up the DD.
agree .. the total monthly adds up to 31.50.. which translates to 2.62. I guess I might end up paying about a fiver or less in either case depends on when the cars are swapped out

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a thread about saving a fiver.

Any advise on where I can get the cheapest cornflakes? Over the year, this could save me more.

You mean, saving £25 by only paying a fiver... that pays of a round of 'off-peak' round of golf in Surrey. Also no cornflakes in the half house around here; but you can get some organic muesli and avocado

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think there is an option for you to lessen the car tax. Yeah, you could try to pay for six months then claim a rebate for the 4/5 months when the car is returned, but I don't think it's still available, and I don't think the difference will be that great.
After 3 years, I think the issue is sorted.
However, you can and do get a refund when you sell on the car and advise the DVLA, the refund is sent by them automatically.

sunshine

Visit site
You mean, saving £25 by only paying a fiver... that pays of a round of 'off-peak' round of golf in Surrey. Also no cornflakes in the half house around here; but you can get some organic muesli and avocado

No. You get a pro rata refund when you sell the car. So this is a thread about saving a couple of quid ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I traded my car in the dealer said I would automatically get a refund on remaining tax. Received a cheque within a week.

I really hope your car arrives on time. Massive delays with some makers at the moment.