Car Dealer Rant + Suggestions

V

vkurup

Thinking of getting a new car.. so went down to the local Merc & Audi showroom. In this day and age, I thought they would bite my hand off... but..

1) Merc: I currently have a merc, so they have all my details. The saleslady took my details and promised to call me with a quote for an exchange.. No news after that

2) Audi: The fella gave me a brochure and his visiting card and said, if you need further info, call me!!! He just saw a potential customer walk out of the door and he did not even bother to get my details.

Once I jumped back into the car, I checked if I was looking too unscrubbed nor did I have my usual Carlsberg special Brew breath!!. I am a bit disappointed with how they treat customers.

Criteria: Automatic, fuel efficient, shld fit atleast 1 set of clubs + trolley, approx 250miles a week of mostly motorway driving, 4 door, low running cost

Anyways, currently looking at some options.. Shortlist in no order: Merc C-class, Audi A4, BMW 3, Jag XF..
Anything that I shld consider?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
BMW 318D Highline saloon. Lotta spec for the money, great economy of over 55mpg and tax band D so about £65 a year to tax or there abouts. Insurance group 9 and at 143BHP its not a slouch either.

Thats looking like my next motor.

V

vkurup

BMW 318D Highline saloon. Lotta spec for the money, great economy of over 55mpg and tax band D so about £65 a year to tax or there abouts. Insurance group 9 and at 143BHP its not a slouch either.

Thats looking like my next motor.

I used to have a 320i.. in hindsight like the beemer better than the merc - but the Merc fellas did a good finance deal for us, so went with Merc. I am keen to try A4 (but the heart is set on XF even though I am unlikely to get it)

FN2

Medal Winner
Visit site
I can sympathise, I've had the same experience from both Audi and Mercedes!

I may give Mercedes a second chance but Audi had two and won't get a third. staggering how shocking their sales staff are. I'd naively assumed that their big discounts meant they were struggling to sell cars. Clearly not the case as two Audi dealers effectively let me walk out the door when I'd made it plainly obvious I was there to do a deal that day.

You went good service - go Japanese!

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another thumbs down here for Mercedes.

An obvious choice within the chosen group would be the Lexus IS range. Alot of car for the money. Or if you're not a badge snob, a Skoda Octavia VRS

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Audi A6 S-Line :thup:

I had 3 months of atrocious uninterested contact with merc and Audi, I even specked out what I wanted second hand and said if you find it I'll buy the same day you call. Still waiting.......

Eventually called Arnold Clark (who I said I'd never go to- don't know why) and got a cracking interested sales guy and a deal I didn't even have to negotiate on it was that fair! Bought that day and have sent 2 others to buy from him/them.

What got me was the Audi guys moaning there was no money in car sales- they told me this in their super expensive purpose built luxury showroom near Glasgow Airport (that is also about to be refurbed!!!!!!!!!!), no money, yeah right!

V

vkurup

An obvious choice within the chosen group would be the Lexus IS range. Alot of car for the money. Or if you're not a badge snob, a Skoda Octavia VRS

I used to like the Lexus when I lived across the pond, but Lexus here does not have the same gravitas. Any view on how they perform.

PS: The lexus hybrid is definintly making the shortlist in 3 yrs time when we will need a tractor to take nipper to footy & golf classes

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My Merc dealer were happy to sell me 2 cars (my business partner and me) but the service manager turned out to be the biggest, most obnoxious arse I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. It is widely known by all Merc drivers in the area and still, after a number of years, the dealer has not got rid of him despite the custom that I personally know that he has lost them!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Biggest running cost is depreciation.
I'd look at a Qashqai 2.0 Diesel Auto. Comfy, and hold their value really well. And bullet proof.
A rare car (if you are looking second hand) but worth hunting down.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Had a 3s BMW for a little while and the boot is not for golfers....sold that. In my opinion, and I've had a good few of them now, the VW passat has got the best boot going for size of car, better than the A4. It's the same engine as the A4 as well. The estate is even better for getting clubs, elec trolley, in and out. A 140hp 6speed will do 50 MPG easy.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have dealt with Audi dealers in the Berkshire/Surrey area and they are quite variable. But I wouldn't be put off the right car just by the dealer - just buy it somewhere else.

The current model A4 and A6 are both great cars and I will likely be replacing my current A6 TDI with another one in the next year or so, and based on variable experiences with different dealerships, I know exactly where I am going to do it.

V

vkurup

A6 is a bit too big (+expensive).. so not looking at it.

RR Evoque with its shagpile is non starter.

Anyone having experience with the Volvo S60/80?