Car buying advice

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Proof, if any were needed, that you do not know what the hell you are talking about.

Too easy. ?

I've had a 106 Rallye and a 205 GTI back in the day when Peugeot made good cars.

The wife has had a couple of more recent Peugeots and Citroëns which were style over substance and dated very quickly. Both were nothing but problems, mostly with electrical issues, but also squeaky interiors that fell apart in a short space of time.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The global microchip shortage is hitting the new-car market as production has been affected by the shortage. This is in turn is inflating the used-car market as people and companies cannot replace their 2-3 year old cars as easily.
I recently was looking for a used car and found most places around my area had limited stock that was moving fast.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Too easy. ?

I've had a 106 Rallye and a 205 GTI back in the day when Peugeot made good cars.

The wife has had a couple of more recent Peugeots and Citroëns which were style over substance and dated very quickly. Both were nothing but problems, mostly with electrical issues, but also squeaky interiors that fell apart in a short space of time.

We have owned Peugeot's, 306, 307, 308sw currently. All lovely cars, the first 2 got to 150,000 miles each with zero issues. I love my current 308 sw. 2nd owner here, had it 2 years, zero issues cost me 9k with 20,000 miles full service history from a main dealer and has 3 years full servicing and MOT with it, total bargain. Really love it, Automatic version. My wife currently has a Focus, hate it. Find the Peugeots so comfortable against other cars as well.

We buy our cars and look after them and keep them for as long as possible only replacing them when they are getting long in the tooth.

Of course everyone has different opinions and issues which is why you need to try them yourself. We are likely to always have a Peugeot, swap the Focus for a Cooper S me thinks next now the kids can get themselves about.

For some though a car is a status symbol more than anything else and for many there are only certain cars that tick box.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
All moot, phoned to go and have a look and not for sale now. I wonder it he was getting loads of enquiries and it will appear for sale again next week £1300 dearer. On the point of it being a Peugeot it's a matter of taste and experience. The two worst cars I've owned have been a Ford Mondeo and a Vauxhall Insignia. There's millions of them on the road but I wouldn't get a Ford or Vauxhall again.

RichA

Visit site
Looking at buying a second hand car. Seen one I liked low mileage etc, but it's had three owners in three years. Is this a warning sign, makes me nervous for some reason.
That would bother me too. As long as you're patient, something else will turn up.
Everyone's experiences of different marques will vary. Over 30 years I've had great Fords, awful Fords, great German cars, disappointing German cars. The only ones that never let me down were the French and the Japanese - they just weren't very exciting places to sit for hours at a time. Any problems with them were only very minor and usually resolved quickly and permanently - not something I can say about the German cars.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve maybe just been unlucky with my Peugeot 2008 the red engine warning came on so I took it straight to the garage and then after I got there and turned the car off it wouldn’t start again.

So I had to leave the car for them to try and fix, later in the day they phoned and said after doing a diagnostic test there was 4 faults that came up but they couldn’t get to bottom of the faults possibly something to do with the stop start, but the car was starting again so I collected it.

Same thing happened a few days later car wouldn’t start I left it for 30 minutes and then car started again first time ??‍♂️

I took the car to a different garage and after doing a diagnostic test they basically told me the same.

I’ve been told the car is worth only 1k less than I paid for it 2 years ago so I’m thinking of trading it in for a different make.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I should add it’s a real pity I’ve hade these problems with the Peugeot as I really like the car and would have been very happy to keep it.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone in here have a Passat? Looking at one which looks great value and will save me a good sum every month.

the boot looks huge, but wondered about easily getting clubs and possibly trolley through the boot opening etc

4LEX

Visit site
Looking at getting a Smart Brabus as my daily runner. Obviously small, low tax and great fuel economy. Anyone have any experience of these?! Apart from don't drive it on the motorway unless you want to be blown off the road :whistle:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone in here have a Passat? Looking at one which looks great value and will save me a good sum every month.

the boot looks huge, but wondered about easily getting clubs and possibly trolley through the boot opening etc

I had one, cavernous boot.........with an opening the size of a letterbox!