Cant hit greens in regulation

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played as low as 5 handicap and it has always been a problem for me. It was probably why my greenside game was up there with most pros at the time.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
GIR isn't the overriding stat to me. Plenty of days I've hit lots of greens then two or 3 putted as I was so far away yet other games I've missed narrowly but chipped and putted well to beat the scores in the higher GIR rounds.
I guess for you, trying to reduce the size of the misses will be a great cog in reducing your overall scores.

RichA

Visit site
Not reaching the greens or missing them? I hardly ever make our long par 4 and 5s in reg. I score best when I deliberately put my GIR shot in a spot that gives me a nice pitch or chip at the flag.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's winter. The air is cold and the ball doesn't fly as far so it's probably playing a club longer by default. If for arguments sake you hit a 7 iron 145, that is only going around 135-140 because its cold. Club up and maybe add another so 2 clubs to make sure you carry to the middle of all the greens. Hit the middle every time and you'll never be too far from the pin

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Playing off 17 was down to 15 some at some point last year, but steady 17 at the moment.
Well, that's about what could be expected then (-ish!).
So time to practice your iron/hybrid game. How well do you play Par 3s? Do you actually practice btw?
Oh, and the most important one....Where do you miss greens? Short? Left? Right? Long? And what sort of club are you using for the shot at/into the green?

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Shooting 90 with what you said, its lots of chips or pitches then 2 putts.

More "up and downs" has the same impact as hitting more greens! Might be easier to make gains quicker too.

Justin Thomas averaged 75% gir last year....if he misses 4 or 5 every round.. sure we'll be missing plenty more. His scoring average was still around 70.

Practice that chipping!

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A 17 HC will hit 24% of GIR on average. That’s 4.3 greens per round.

It’s just not possible to have a short game good enough to overcome missing so many greens.

As has already been mentioned. Try using the yardage to the back of the green and aiming at the centre. Are you aiming correctly. Many of us think we have hit a poor shot, when in fact we have hit a shot exactly where we were aiming. We were just set up wrong.

What is your strategy off the tee? Getting closer to the green significantly improves your chances of hitting the green with your second shot.