Cannot fix my slice

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
I have tried soo much to fix my weak slice with short irons and big slice with a wood that I will literally break down and cry with anger!!!

I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's on the downswing. Please help me.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have tried soo much to fix my weak slice with short irons and big slice with a wood that I will literally break down and cry with anger!!!

I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's on the downswing. Please help me.

What have you tried?

Also agree with Bob. Have you had a lesson?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson and it worked... tempararily (sp)

its been back with a vengeance for a while

what I found is the smoother/easier the swing the less it is, maybe its trying to muller the ball a bit too much?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson and it worked... tempararily (sp)

its been back with a vengeance for a while

what I found is the smoother/easier the swing the less it is, maybe its trying to muller the ball a bit too much?

I'm in no position to give advice.....

But have you tried to loosen your grip?

I think that tension can often come into play, especially if you are trying hard.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There could be a few reasons for the ball slicing and You will need a pro to check them out.
Grip, Alignment, Swing path etc

I found that after i read the laws on ball flight i had a better understanding of what causes the ball to spin and combined with lesson i can now spin the ball both ways.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
There could be a few reasons for the ball slicing and You will need a pro to check them out.
Grip, Alignment, Swing path etc

I found that after i read the laws on ball flight i had a better understanding of what causes the ball to spin and combined with lesson i can now spin the ball both ways.

Good post. :)

I sometimes slip into slicing mode, not so much with short clubs, but drivers and fairways, yes.

I'm currently working on my grip, using a Leadbetter grip on an old 6 iron and trying to "neutralise" my right hand. It's a grim process.

If you are slicing almost everything, then I'd suggest firstly check your grip (a little strong is OK, but don't fall into the trap of cranking it round, it'll only end up in tears!) and then work on your in-out downswing with any drill that helps you feel the correct movement.

If you can learn to hit the ball from the inside, even a weak-ish grip can work. When I was playing my best (many years ago) I hardly ever squared the face 100%.

I went on a computer/monitor gadget in 1998 and the pro was impressed with my consistency. I was a few degrees from the inside with a club face that was the tinniest bit open at impact. The result? - almost every shot was a small draw. Beautiful. :)

Understanding is the place to start, check basics and then get hitting balls.

backspin22

Club Champion
Visit site
You will never stop slicing until you set up for a draw (face slightly closed and aim at the right side of the fairway) and COMMIT* to it. Baling out and and steering will always make you slice/pull. Let your hands win the race.
If you can't do this, learn to play with a slice.
Get a lesson. Read up, practice.

*If you can't do this on the range, get a lesson.

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all,

Will probably have a lesson or 2 to check where I am going wrong and then work on that on the range for a week or so to get used to it.