Can someone explain the fascination with these?

D

Deleted member 1740

No, don't get the hype at all.

Harder to get one to stick than you think Stu
, but just because they don't stick in that doesn't mean that you missed the putt. Not for me.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes, that’s what I meant.

Yeah, get that, but how many of the ones that don't stick would actually miss or lip out? Also places too much emphasis on dying a putt into the hole for me; there's a time & a place for taking the break out of it with a bit of pace, which this won't teach you.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is some right snottiness floating about this forum recently eh?

A lot of the snide comments made towards Homer across several threads make me uncomfortable to be honest. I’m sure he doesn’t need me to defend him but some posts do appear to go beyond banter and dare I say have a whiff of bullying about them?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, get that, but how many of the ones that don't stick would actually miss or lip out? Also places too much emphasis on dying a putt into the hole for me; there's a time & a place for taking the break out of it with a bit of pace, which this won't teach you.
Not sure that is right Richard. If you get the ball to stick in the small hole it would have gone at least a foot past the hole. You are aiming for the small hole and not trying to die it in. If you hit too hard and it goes up to the top of the ramp, it will come back a long way to you, so you know the putt was too hard. Personally think it encourages a firmer stroke, rather than trying to die putt in.:thup:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not sure that is right Richard. If you get the ball to stick in the small hole it would have gone at least a foot past the hole. You are aiming for the small hole and not trying to die it in. If you hit too hard and it goes up to the top of the ramp, it will come back a long way to you, so you know the putt was too hard. Personally think it encourages a firmer stroke, rather than trying to die putt in.:thup:

Having tried it the only way to get it to stick in that small hole is to dead weight it. The one I was trying was sending it 2 feet back for ones that barely missed the small hole. Trust me Richard, I was nowhere close to getting it to the top of the ramp.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the whole point of them isn't "the perfect" putt feature .. that's an added game

anything that doesn't come back to you was going to miss.. lip out .. that's why it has little ridges around the hole to give feed back

how far it rolls back aswell is how far it would roll past the hole.. so the whole idea is to get it in and for it the return less than 1 foot

but everyone gets hung up on the "perfect" putt missing the point

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Having tried it the only way to get it to stick in that small hole is to dead weight it. The one I was trying was sending it 2 feet back for ones that barely missed the small hole. Trust me Richard, I was nowhere close to getting it to the top of the ramp.

Richart is right, it really isn't about getting it to stop in the hole although I can do that from time to time. For me it about alignment and a straight roll (assuming that the floor is even) and it's much better than any other putting aid for working on those things as far as I'm concerned. For £20 I'm sure the hundreds of times I've putted to it at home can't do anything but help my shoddy short putting, you, on the other hand don't really need it as you a really good holer out 😁

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Deal with it and move on.

Bad bellend you mate.

Personally I use it because I’m not a member of a club atm, and the local muni doesn’t have a practice green.

Also good for winter when there is no light on the evenings.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Richard the small hole is perfect weight for a putt. If it goes in it would go a foot or so past the hole. The actual hole is the white pad at the front. If you just reach that would be dead weight. If you go over the edge of pad too hard putt doesn’t come back.

I tend to dead weight putts, but by trying to get ball into small hole it encourages a firmer stroke that if it misses goes at least a foot past. Not sure I like the one back though.:eek:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have one and I don't use the centre hole. It's the only practice gadget I own and kept on a bookcase in a spare room it's there whenever I fancy a bit of indoor putting practice. I like it, gives me a good feel for pace as the distance it rolls back is roughly equivalent to how far past the hole the ball would have run past.

My problem historically has been leaving putts short and I think it's helped me give the ball a little bit more pace. I used to putt to a coin on the carpet and could hit the line well but accidentally drilled into a habit of stopping the ball dead on the coin which translated to leaving putts short on the course for me. :)