Can somebody place the ball on the tee and retrieve the ball from the hole for a playing partner?

Dawn Hodge

Visit site
We have a member who currently is unable to bend to place a ball on the tee and retrieve their ball from the hole - but they are able to swing uninhibited. Is there any rule that would stop a playing partner placing the ball on the tee and getting the ball out the hole? In my mind, the ball is not in play until the ball is address and struck, and similarly the ball is not in play when the ball is in the hole as the hole in question has then been completed. I realise that placing the ball on the tee and retrieving the ball may be disruptive to some playing partners, but if the person could find somebody to do this, would it within the rules of golf be allowable?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On the face of it, it seems fine but I suppose there’s still things to consider with teeing it up, since the round has started (other than on 1st tee) and depending on the ‘status’ of the other person doing the teeing

Ramifications of making sure the ball is inside teeing area for strokeplay/matchplay rounds and the potential for the 'good Samaritan' deliberately lining ball up on the tee

Can't think of any issue taking ball out the hole

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the face of it, it seems fine but I suppose there’s still things to consider with teeing it up, since the round has started (other than on 1st tee) and depending on the ‘status’ of the other person doing the teeing

Ramifications of making sure the ball is inside teeing area for strokeplay/matchplay rounds and the potential for the 'good Samaritan' deliberately lining ball up on the tee
Which specific rules do you think might be problematical?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Which specific rules do you think might be problematical?

Dunno rule numbers but I'd have thought that if the other person was another competitor and lines up one of the growing number of balls like this when teeing it up:
No issue on 1st tee but wouldn't that be advice for the subsequent holes ?
1724914911205.png

edit
And for player to consider: The player would also need to remember to double check ball is inside teeing area (having not placed it there himself) Otherwise he’ll get the penalty if he just assumes its ok

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
By simply not aligning the ball or nominating the other player as their caddie would sort that.

Yeah, as I said its 'considerations' if getting someone to do these things to prevent a breach/penalty

Can the other player be both a caddie and a fellow competitor though:unsure:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would have thought it would be more of an issue when marking the ball on the green. I seem to recall your ball can be marked by your playing partner (fine in 4BBB, etc) but a fellow competitor (singles) must be authorised every single time i.e. no blanket authority to mark the ball every time.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yeah, as I said its 'considerations' if getting someone to do these things to prevent a breach/penalty

I thought the "advice" rules might be tricky in those circumstances of caddie and fellow competitor as well.

Allowing a fellow competitor to choose your teeing height could also come under assistance or decision making for a shot. OK for a caddie, but not a fellow competitor.

Teeing the ball could become a bit tedious for the 3rd or 4th player to observe.
"No, that's a bit high. Down a bit please and a bit further to the right." and so on.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Not while simultaneously playing a round.

A player in a competition may caddie for another player in the same competition, except when the player is playing their round or when a Local Rule restricts the player from being a caddie. (Clarification 10.3a/2)

Steven Rules

Visit site
I realise that placing the ball on the tee and retrieving the ball may be disruptive to some playing partners, but if the person could find somebody to do this, would it within the rules of golf be allowable?
As I see it, there is no problem with placing a ball on a tee or picking it out of the hole on behalf of somebody else.

As others have suggested, when teeing the ball, it would be a good idea to err on the side of caution and not transgress 10.2b(2) by getting help from any person (other than their caddie) with line of play.