Can scores obtained abroad impact my handicap?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still can't understand why you wouldn't want these scores in your handicap. Do you anticipate that they will be exceptionally good or poor and therefore will not reflect your ability or standard of play?

I play over 100 qualifiers a year. In April I will be having a holiday in Belek as a break from QRs.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Okay, stop now. Just stop. Please. Or start another thread between you and carry on the argument.
None of you are going to agree with the other view and the OP is probably going to be losing the will to live and regretting posting on here!!! If the OP is interested, then they can watch the row unfold and still get answers here.
New joiners to the forum won't hang around if threads are hijacked like this.
To the OP, not all posts end up like this and I hope you get the answers you need.

AussieKB

Visit site
I go to Thailand for two weeks every year with up to 30 golfers, no one brings their cards back for handicapping purposes, and we always play 8-9 rounds at different courses, no gimme putts etc, are we all in violation of Handicap ?

No one declares they are doing GP round.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following this logic, should we just use the new US version of the Rules of Handicapping, or should we in fact wait for the UK version?
The problem is that the 'jurisdictions' control the WHS utilization not the R&A/USGA. This is of course because of the vast differences in the various handicap systems around the world previously.
If the current minor differences were not there, it is almost certain the some parts of the world would not have signed up. At least the really significant parts are common so that WHS handicaps are arguably transportable, which was never the case before.

My understanding that (CR-Par) was 'demanded' by Australia because they always play stableford but the UK and Europe play very high proportions of strokeplay/medals. EG arguably got it wrong and jumped the wrong way.

Back to the detail re pre-registration. The US is very dependent on general/casual play scores. Whereas the UK is almost competition mad. I get the impression that every club in England plays a medal every Saturday at least. And you may remember in the US, 'tournament' scores were treated differently to other play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go to Thailand for two weeks every year with up to 30 golfers, no one brings their cards back for handicapping purposes, and we always play 8-9 rounds at different courses, no gimme putts etc, are we all in violation of Handicap ?

The requirement is only 'should' not 'must'

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay, stop now. Just stop. Please. Or start another thread between you and carry on the argument.
None of you are going to agree with the other view and the OP is probably going to be losing the will to live and regretting posting on here!!! If the OP is interested, then they can watch the row unfold and still get answers here.
New joiners to the forum won't hang around if threads are hijacked like this.
To the OP, not all posts end up like this and I hope you get the answers you need.
Oh dear..... this is the type of response we see whenever someone is called out to explain their actions. The OP wanted to be able to return his cards as he was rather concerned that his H/cap was becoming unrepresentative of his improving ability. He sounds very fair to me so we were trying to help him resolve his concerns.
It's very clear that there is an expectation for all cards to be returned however for whatever reasons many folk want to be completely in charge of what arrives on their H/cap record & that is rather worrying. What is there to hide? I expect nothing... so why not just put them in so that there are no questions that go unanswered?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What are their reasons for that?

AussieKB

Visit site
What are their reasons for that?
No particular reason, we have been going for over 10 years and no one has ever brought a card back, also I have been on other trips and know of a lot of other people playing overseas and never returning a card.

I put in 150 cards a year for handicap, so I don't think it would make much difference to mine, maybe be a shot or two lower or higher for a short time, then just go back out to a 3-5 handicap.

When I lived in England I went on golfing trips to Europe and no one brought any cards back, has that changed ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No particular reason, we have been going for over 10 years and no one has ever brought a card back, also I have been on other trips and know of a lot of other people playing overseas and never returning a card.

I put in 150 cards a year for handicap, so I don't think it would make much difference to mine, maybe be a shot or two lower or higher for a short time, then just go back out to a 3-5 handicap.

When I lived in England I went on golfing trips to Europe and no one brought any cards back, has that changed ?
I can't answer for what others do now but the Rule has changed since the CONGU system was used.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah the old Handicap card general play police I see

Some will need to understand that there are plenty out there that still just want to enjoy a game of golf with friends and a bit of a laugh without even worrying about a card for their handicap

The choice is there for all

If you want to have every round count for HC then put your card in

If you want to decide which rounds outside comps you want to put a card in then do that as well

If you only want to put cards in when playing a comp then do that as well

It’s great that there is a choice for all

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting how some have got so wound up about one word, the word "should". Even after it was clarified that "should" did not mean "must". The very fact that the word "must" was not used, maybe people should just relax a bit when the word "should" is used. Nobody is going to arrest you if you don't hand in a card, so don't worry about it :)

We've a guy in our group that played off 18-20 pre WHS, and post WHS and moving clubs, his Course Handicap is around 26-28. He only really played socially with us, very few competitions, hence it staying up that high. He wins nearly every time, with ease. Breaking 50 points twice this winter, but usually mid 40's. He doesn't want to hand his cards in, because he thinks it will put too much pressure on him and he won't enjoy it as much. Well, that is his right, so we'll not phone the police.

However, I also think it is fair that the WHS encourages players to submit scores by using the word "should". Because if players stop getting overly emotional and stressed about about being encouraged to submit a score, then their handicap should reflect their ability / form much better, and maybe when they use their handicap to compete against others, things would just be that bit fairer. And many times, it may even help them a bit if they are not playing as well as they used to.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, you are now a member of iGolf. Assuming that you now have gained a handicap from iGolf, you need to ask them how you report back to them on rounds played abroad. People who are members of affiliated clubs can send details of such rounds to the club by whatever means the club has agreed - email, pics by whatsapp etc..
Thanks, rosecott! I'll send them a message and find out what they say :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any news on this @Rob_golfs? As you've seen, lots on here happy to shirk their responsibilities. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Swango1980

Visit site
I found this on the England Golf website on the iGolf procedures:

General Play (Outside of England)

• General play scores from outside of England must be returned to iGolf within 3weeks of the round being played.
• Where possible, scores must be countersigned by an official of the course being played (professional/manager)
• Scores must be attested (marked) by a golfer who holds a WHS handicap index.
• When submitting score cards, you must provide the following information:
o Date of Round
o Country
o Venue
o Tee/Marker used
o Course Rating
o Slope Rating
o Par
o A copy of your scorecard, signed by club official and attester(marker).
o Name and Local Id number of the attester (marker).

Acceptance of scores returned outside the submission window will be at the discretion of iGolf. Scores from outside of England cannot be used for an initial handicap allocation (as part of the first 54 holes submitted).

The full link is:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks, rosecott! I'll send them a message and find out what they say :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any news on this @Rob_golfs? As you've seen, lots on here happy to shirk their responsibilities. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will sit back and wait with bated breath, Dave.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help me in answering this as my friends and I are thinking of booking a golf trip and whilst away we were wondering if the score that we get on the courses that we played on could be contributed to our handicap.

For example, I go to a course in Florida, and want to add my final score to my england golf handicap? I'm not sure if this is possible, hence the question.

If I want my scores from around the world contribute to my handicap, is there a way that this can be done? I'm fairly new to the game of golf but everyone is asking about my handicap so I thought I should make a start here and obtain one.

I have signed up to England iGolf as I am not a member at a club and have been given my membership number this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
When you find out from iGolf how to submit foreign scores, I'll be very interested.

Submitting foreighn scores via my club has been traumatic and I was wondering if I could join igolf for handicap and join the club without county and EG fees.