Can FC find AND "identify" my ball if I am not present ?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Colin!

And 1 further point. Should the ball be found by the FCs within the 5 minutes, the Player has a reasonable amount of time to confirm that it is his. I thought there was a Decision about this, but cannot find one. However, the 'or identified as his' covers this situation

There is indeed

27/5.5 Original Ball Found Within Five-Minute Search Period Not Identified Until After Period Has Elapsed

Q. A player plays a second shot, searches for his ball for just over four minutes and then starts to walk back down the fairway to play another ball under Rule 27-1. A ball is then found within the five-minute search period, but as the player is now a considerable distance away, he is unable to identify the ball as his before the search period has elapsed. What is the ruling?

A. As a ball was found within five minutes of beginning search, the player is allowed enough time to reach the area in order to identify it. If the player identifies the ball as his, it is not a “lost ball” even though the identification takes place after the five-minute search period has elapsed.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please write out 100 times

I cannot declare a ball lost

Sorry, you can retire the man from teaching, but you never retire the teacher in him.:)
i know you can't declare it lost,but I don't think the op knows you can't walk back and play a provisional would it not be stroke and distance,and what would your reaction be if they didn't look for the ball but expected the others in the group to look for it for them,I think the moral is,if in doubt play another.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
i know you can't declare it lost,but I don't think the op knows you can't walk back and play a provisional would it not be stroke and distance,and what would your reaction be if they didn't look for the ball but expected the others in the group to look for it for them,I think the moral is,if in doubt play another.

See #5
Unfortunately, because he was not in a position to hear or see his FCs, he put another ball into play under Rule 27-1 (stroke and distance) and he must continue with it. His original ball was lost (even though his FCs were staring at it) the moment he played the substituted ball.

I wouldn't have any difficulty with a player saying to me, I'll go back and play another ball but if you spot my original ball first, give me a shout or a wave.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See #5
Unfortunately, because he was not in a position to hear or see his FCs, he put another ball into play under Rule 27-1 (stroke and distance) and he must continue with it. His original ball was lost (even though his FCs were staring at it) the moment he played the substituted ball.

I wouldn't have any difficulty with a player saying to me, I'll go back and play another ball but if you spot my original ball first, give me a shout or a wave.
I think the phrase "if I spot it" is a good one,not "I expect you to clamber in the clag and brambles as if it was the holy grail,because I can't be bothered to look or get scratches"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is indeed

27/5.5 Original Ball Found Within Five-Minute Search Period Not Identified Until After Period Has Elapsed

Q. A player plays a second shot, searches for his ball for just over four minutes and then starts to walk back down the fairway to play another ball under Rule 27-1. A ball is then found within the five-minute search period, but as the player is now a considerable distance away, he is unable to identify the ball as his before the search period has elapsed. What is the ruling?

A. As a ball was found within five minutes of beginning search, the player is allowed enough time to reach the area in order to identify it. If the player identifies the ball as his, it is not a “lost ball” even though the identification takes place after the five-minute search period has elapsed.

Thanks. I was looking in 27/1 Decisions.

i understand the rules,but what i don't understand is your view on it take the following scenario,you hit a big draw into a blind dogleg left,when you get to we're you think your ball is your met with the thickest spikyest gorse and brambles known to man,you take a look then say,"tell you what lads I'm going back to the tee and playing a provisional,when I get to the tee dive into the brambles and spend 5 mins looking for my ball I will see you in a bit,thanks oh and make sure you search properly" I think you would get a few expletives back if you played in the company I keep,could you quote the rule that states your opponent HAS to search for your ball,I know we all do but is it an actual rule of the game.

Well, firstly make that 200 times about the Provisional, and another 100 saying 'Always Play a Provisional!' - and maybe 50 saying 'Play the Provisional first!':D

But, exactly as I did the day I was 'robbed', I'd search for a sufficient time to ascertain that it's unlikely to be found; announce that I was heading back to play another ball; request that they continue searching while I head back and until the 5 minutes is up. should they find it, they should yell or wave and should certainly do their best to prevent me putting the substituted ball into play. That's certainly what I'd do in the reverse circumstances. Likewise, I would ask a FC if he was going to search for a 'first ball' rather than simply doing it when continuing with the Provisional was likely to better option. It's competition, not war!

You don't have to search for a ball but to not do so rather goes against courtesys/etiquette imo.

From the Etiquette section of the Rules: All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times

If your bunch feel offended being asked to continue searching, simply state that you are potentially saving them time, so wouldthey be courteous to you as well. If they continue to object, then I don't believe they have grasped one of the great aspects of the game of Golf - but that's just my opinion.

I think the phrase "if I spot it" is a good one,not "I expect you to clamber in the clag and brambles as if it was the holy grail,because I can't be bothered to look or get scratches"

I think 'If you find/spot it' is appropriate. There are, after all, certain places where I simply would not want to find it! See my comment about a FC's Provisional.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course, it may be courteous to continue to search whilst the player is going back to play under stroke and distance (not a provisional) if the player asks you to.
But it is just as courteous to stop searching (or not search) if the player asks you not to because he reckons penalty relief for an unplayable will not get him out of jail. However, there is nothing to prevent you searching.