Can calling a penalty be a penalty

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What's the guidance on calling a penalty on oneself when you're not 100% certain that you did anything to be penalised for, etc i.e calling a penalty just in case you broke a rule

I touched a ball in play in play with club-head (no problem so far) but I don't know for sure if it moved (changed position) or only oscillated

Called one shot on myself but couldn't return ball to an original position as I wasn't sure if it had in fact moved

What should I have done (apart from take more notice next time)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you were so uncertain whether the ball moved that you couldn't replace it in its original position, I'm not sure that you should have been penalising yourself in the first place.

However, if you do decide to call the penalty I would suggest you go through the process of replacing the ball even if it is just a tiny readjustment you make. That way, your FCs or opponent see that you are doing the correct thing.

The rationale for this is that if you penalise yourself then it follows that you have determined that the ball moved: you may still be in doubt, but that's what your decision says. So, since the ball moved, it must be replaced; if you don't replace it, it becomes a 2 stroke/loss of hole penalty. I reckon you need to be seen to go through the process of replacing even by a tiny amount.

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Local pro told me if I touch the ball while lining up a putt its a 2 shot penalty, I have touched on a few occasions but it doesnt move, I've also grazed it while setting down the club for a greenside chip, again it wobbles enough that I see it but should that be penalties in Medals? (only done it in bounce games as I'm taking less care)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
DV

No penalty for touching the ball with the club in the act of addressing it so long as it doesn't move - Rule 18-2a(i)

Even if it did move it's only a 1 shot penalty as long as you replace it, but as Colin says 2 shots/loss of hole if you don't.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Local pro told me if I touch the ball while lining up a putt its a 2 shot penalty, I have touched on a few occasions but it doesnt move, I've also grazed it while setting down the club for a greenside chip, again it wobbles enough that I see it but should that be penalties in Medals? (only done it in bounce games as I'm taking less care)

Hmmm, your pro is a tad off the mark there. If you touch the ball purposely you incur a one stroke penalty (except if addressing the ball). If you touch it accidentally and it doesn't move, there is no penalty. If it moves there is a one stroke penalty and you must replace. So if you are not deliberately touching your ball when lining up your putt (seems unlikely!) and you don't move it, there is no penalty.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
DV

No penalty for touching the ball with the club in the act of addressing it so long as it doesn't move - Rule 18-2a(i)

Even if it did move it's only a 1 shot penalty as long as you replace it, but as Colin says 2 shots/loss of hole if you don't.

You see that's probably another rules myth that does the rounds as I always thought touching the ball when addressing it was a 1 shot penalty. You learn something new every day around these parts *thumbsupsmiley*