Can anyone recommend a good android golf app and phone holder for a golf trolley?

AdamW

Visit site
Was thinking of getting a watch but thinking a golf app + holder may be the way to go,what do people recommend for an app and trolley phone holder? App needs to track distance from the hole and workout / keep handicap up to date

I looked at hole 19 but it is very expensive

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use Golfshot and a very cheap holder from amazon.

One was free and the other? I wish I had paid about 5x the price and got the official one as the trade off wasn’t worth it.

bradleywedge

Visit site
I've used golfshot in the past but recently have been using golfpad app which is free as a course I play regularly wasn't on golfshot.

To be honest I have gone off the apps now as I only used them for yardages (although I did do my scores as well) I wear reading glasses so fed up having to put them on every shot to see yardages.

Just bought a rangefinder to simplify things and back to scorecard and pencil for me.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Sky Caddie on android is very good. Sub is £18 a year which I felt was worth it.
What wasn't worth it was using the motorcaddie phone holder. In the deep stuff at Coxmoor (4th, short par 4) when it unknowingly snapped and dumped my phone into the rough.
It was only halfway down the next fairway that I noticed. Fortunately I had the Cerebus app installed and got my wife to pinpoint it's location on the PC at home and she sent a pic/map to my friends phone so we were able to go and retreive it after the round.

Will never use a phone holder again!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a back to my GPS unit I have the free version of Hole 19. The biggest thing I noticed was how much the battery drained having it on all the time.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I used 18birdies for a good while, it gives some basic stats in the free version and you can track your full game in the paid version, nice lay out and easy to use you can have your friends stats to, more important it is accurate,
I just bought a generic phone holder about £5 from ebay just clips on the the handle of my trolley, I don't use it so much now that I use arccos, download one or 2 and you can see the layout without being on the course, I personally went through a couple of apps before settling on 18 birdies

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The basic free version of Hole19 is fine for my purposes. Shows yardages, you can track total shots, putts, GIR, fairway hit or missed. Agree it drains battery so I only put it on to get a distance and then close the phone. Nicely shows distances to the front, middle and back of the green.

The upgrade costs money and gives you a few more options but i'm not sure if it's worth it.