Can anyone recommend a coach in the North West?

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I'm getting back into golf after a couple of years off, and am looking for some coaching lessons to get me back on track.

When I stopped playing I was officially at 12 handicap, playing at Hillside in Southport, but it was trending downwards, with my rounds regularly being around 6-10 over.

Can anyone recommend coaches in the North West UK?

D

Deleted member 1740

Steve Holden at Liverpool golf centre in Netherley, I swear by him.

Welcome along :thup:

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
David Lloyd is still at Formby driving range. He doesn't do data but know the swing inside out.

As Stu says, welcome along!

But I'd change that avatar if I where you. 1 homer is enough for any forum :)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dan Whittaker is one of the best in the country. I use Barry Taylor currently who's also very good, based at Clarkes in Rainford.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Steve Holden at Liverpool golf centre in Netherley, I swear by him.

Welcome along :thup:

Thanks I'll take a look.

David Lloyd is still at Formby driving range. He doesn't do data but know the swing inside out.

As Stu says, welcome along!

But I'd change that avatar if I where you. 1 homer is enough for any forum :)

I'll take a look as I use Formby Driving range as my range! I'm actually in Southport, not Liverpool.

Dan Whittaker is one of the best in the country. I use Barry Taylor currently who's also very good, based at Clarkes in Rainford.

I've seen Dan Whittaker, but he's quite highly priced, I assume because he's teaching fellow pro's, not sure whether I'm good enough to go to him! I'll take a look at Barry too.

What tends to be the going rate these days for coaching? I have never had lessons using data/tracking previously, just normal lessons, but the idea interests me a lot, so I might be looking for someone with tracking.

I've seen a couple of guys at Lytham Golf Academy look pretty good, and I know about Rick Shiels up near Burnley.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's a pro on here called Jason Dransfield, who has had good reviews and I'm pretty sure is in that part of the country.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shout out for Phillip Archer at TourX golf in wigan

Working magic on me currently after only one lesson. Back in next week for another

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Working magic on me currently after only one lesson. Back in next week for another

Phil's top notch. Met him while I was doing a fitting down at TourX and 5 minutes with him getting a few tips really helped. Fantastic set-up as well, love that place.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a pro on here called Jason Dransfield, who has had good reviews and I'm pretty sure is in that part of the country.

Thanks, I'll look him up.

Thanks, do you mind me asking what handicap you are?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I'm getting back into golf after a couple of years off, and am looking for some coaching lessons to get me back on track.

When I stopped playing I was officially at 12 handicap, playing at Hillside in Southport, but it was trending downwards, with my rounds regularly being around 6-10 over.

Can anyone recommend coaches in the North West UK?

Hillside you say, are you rejoining?

And as for coaches, Steve Holden is decent as is Freddie Valenti over in Warrington

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mike Newton - Lytham Golf Academy-

He does You Tube on line. Have a look to get an idea how good he is.

Thanks, this is the guy I've seen from Lytham Golf Academy whilst I've been looking, just wanted to get some ideas of other coaches too!

Hillside you say, are you rejoining?

And as for coaches, Steve Holden is decent as is Freddie Valenti over in Warrington

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm not rejoining Hillside, can't afford it! When I finished playing there I was 16 and my Dad was paying my fees (and they were junior fees). Now I'm older, I'd be paying my own and paying adults fees, which I believe are near a couple of thousand at Hillside.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I'll look him up.

Thanks, do you mind me asking what handicap you are?

Nothing formal currently as i am not a member this year. Previously was 18 when at Chorley GC, however i am playing to around 14/15 currently.

I have suffered from an over rotation of my wrists since taking the game up. This led to a very flat back swing and all sorts of horrible results when my timing was off.

Phil was straight on it and told me it needed to be banished. The tips and drills he gave me were so easily communicated that i am in a much better place. Hes a great coach.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing formal currently as i am not a member this year. Previously was 18 when at Chorley GC, however i am playing to around 14/15 currently.

I have suffered from an over rotation of my wrists since taking the game up. This led to a very flat back swing and all sorts of horrible results when my timing was off.

Phil was straight on it and told me it needed to be banished. The tips and drills he gave me were so easily communicated that i am in a much better place. Hes a great coach.

Thanks, I'll take a look!

D

Deleted member 3432

I have had a couple of club fittings from Mike Newton when he was pro at Barrow GC. If he was not 2.5 hours away I wouldn't hesitate to use him for lessons, he identified my swing faults very quickly during the fitting process.

Sounds like you have plenty of options, probably worth chatting to a couple to see if their methods of teaching are what will work for you.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+1 for Barry Taylor at Rainford, but Adrian Fryer at Tru Fit in Widnes is more expensive but quality... writes for another popular golf mag, but don't hold it against him!!!