Can a comp be Q

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies - no problem. Depends on the proportion of bunkers which are GUR - as I remember, no more than 50%.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 50% only relates to England. The other national unions have not announced a figure as far as I know.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Preferred lies only allowed within a certain period in the year as well I thought unless permission sought from local union?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
True Skier. We (links course) do not start preferred lies automatically. They usually do not come into use until November.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been told at our club we have to have placing on fairways only and bunkers need to be in play.
1) The Preferred Lies Rule is constrained to fairways only by the CONGU regulations
2) England Golf only requires that more than 50% need to be in play

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
The 50% only relates to England. The other national unions have not announced a figure as far as I know.
1) The Preferred Lies Rule is constrained to fairways only by the CONGU regulations
2) England Golf only requires that more than 50% need to be in play

Do you have a link to the 50% requirement, I can't find anything on the CONGU or England Golf website that refers to this.
Thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was told this many years ago by the chair of the relevant (then EGU) sub-committee when I was a member of it.

But the Handicapping Manager at England Golf issued the following to Counties and Handicap Advisors a couple of years ago

Bunkers marked as GUR.
This has caused some debate within CONGU as to the impact of Bunkers can have on a competition retaining it qualifying status.
CONGU state that when `some bunkers` are out of play due to maintenance, and are marked as GUR an qualifying competition can be played.

What counts as some?
CONGU have struggled to define this, so England Golf advise that if more than 50% of bunkers are out of play due to maintenance or weather conditions then the competition must be declared as a non-qualifier.
Read more at https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/water-in-bunkers.102997/#cWpLk108yTxhVphQ.99