Cameron House Hotel

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Mrs has spotted a deal to stay 2 nights there for £300 B&B and dinner first night. She's well up for it. Residents get to play The Carrick for £35 but that's not that much of a saving on normal winter green fee. I'd maybe look around for other 2 night stays for £300 but the golf adds a wee bit of an attraction that other places won't have - and CH does look very nice.

Any thoughts anyone on staying at Cameron House Hotel and on The Carrick (I'm aware it can get very wet in Winter)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My Mrs has spotted a deal to stay 2 nights there for £300 B&B and dinner first night. She's well up for it. Residents get to play The Carrick for £35 but that's not that much of a saving on normal winter green fee. I'd maybe look around for other 2 night stays for £300 but the golf adds a wee bit of an attraction that other places won't have - and CH does look very nice.

Any thoughts anyone on staying at Cameron House Hotel and on The Carrick (I'm aware it can get very wet in Winter)

its fine, nice setting and overall a decent hotel- I've never felt it warranted 5 stars but technically it does for the amenities.

£150 per night for DBB is pretty good, however if it was me I'd be looking at Gleneagles, The Old course Hotel and The Fairmont at St Andrews first especially at this time of year. I tried to stay at the Old course at the school break, it was £385 per night, but they offered me the next week (non school term) for £150 per night B&B (tons of great eateries in St Andrews and better courses) and they really are 5 star.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We stayed there on Boxing day/night last year - it's fantastic. Excellent service but not at all stuffy, bars, lounges and spa facilities are all first rate. Breakfast is stupendous - a mind-boggling choice of deliciousness.

It was tipping it down the day I was there so didn't play golf so can't comment on the Carrick.

We'd go back in a heartbeat.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
stayed there a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Carrick is a good course with some excellent holes. Staff looked after us well at both the hotel and the course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We stayed there on Boxing day/night last year - it's fantastic. Excellent service but not at all stuffy, bars, lounges and spa facilities are all first rate. Breakfast is stupendous - a mind-boggling choice of deliciousness.

It was tipping it down the day I was there so didn't play golf so can't comment on the Carrick.

We'd go back in a heartbeat.

Your spa comment is interesting as that's one aspect of a proper nice hotel that my wife really values - if it is any good that is. And she expects it to be for £150 a night

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Carrick has had poor reviews since it opened due to the saturated fairways whenever its rains for more than 10 minutes, but has vastly improved since new drainage was put in place recently. As for the greens, they are usually in very good condition, no matter what the weather is like.

If you are looking to play within the next week however, I would stay clear of any golf course in the west of Scotland to the north of Glasgow as the heavy rain is continuing.

However, if you do decide to stay at Cameron House and are looking for a game at The Carrick whilst in the area and would like a playing partner then let me know the date and if I'm not working, I'll try and make it..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will echo the hotel comments, really enjoyed staying there.

I will also echo the course comments - when we played they refunded the fees as we had to walk off after 9 holes because it became unplayable with flooded greens. yes it was heavy rain; but then again it's West Scotland and there are the current forecast weather fronts on top of the current rainfall....

hope you get to enjoy wherever you end up!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Carrick has had poor reviews since it opened due to the saturated fairways whenever its rains for more than 10 minutes, but has vastly improved since new drainage was put in place recently. As for the greens, they are usually in very good condition, no matter what the weather is like.

If you are looking to play within the next week however, I would stay clear of any golf course in the west of Scotland to the north of Glasgow as the heavy rain is continuing.

However, if you do decide to stay at Cameron House and are looking for a game at The Carrick whilst in the area and would like a playing partner then let me know the date and if I'm not working, I'll try and make it..

Hi TmP - we're panning our break for late January so could well imagine it being a bit damp underfoot (if not a foot under). Then heading to Inverness and maybe out to near Ullapool where I have a cousin.