Callaway X-22 and X-22 Tour Irons

callawayjon

Club Champion
Visit site
Thinking of changing my Big Bertha irons for either of the above sets from Callaway! What's the general opinion of these irons from the forum? I will be custom fitted when I do change and will try both but just wanted some feedback before I go?
Thanks!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally if it had to be callaway Id go for the x20's, nevada bobs locally are doing them for 299.
I had the x-12s and x-16 tours and to be honest the difference wasnt very noticeable from fairways, tees nor the rough so I cant see the 20's being inferior to the x22s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pete

I think that is a slight generalisation as the X22 and the X20 before them are very much aimed at the highe handicap market in the same way as TM Burners. To that end they achieve what the set out to do which is to give a big sweetspot and a high ball flight.

They won't be to everyones taste but I don't hink you can honestly call them shocking. They won't win any prizes for looks but they are playable and for high handicappers thats what counts

The X22 tours are actually a very good club to hit. To answer Mono's question, the tour model has a thinner top line (the line you look down on when addressing. The face is slightly smaller and there is less of a cavity. I have to say they do look pretty good but I haven't tried them fully and only hit a few at a demo day. I think they are comparable with the TM TP (tour preferred)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
i tried the x22's when i was getting my new irons. and to be honest they are shocking! all they are, are look good clubs and dont do anything for anyones golf

:cool:

We believe you.

NOT.

If I wanted a club to get me round and help my swing, I'd go with Callaway every time.
As it is, I prefer the feel of almost anything else and happily trade some forgiveness for the joy of peaching an iron that gives back more on a good shot.

f.w.i.w. I'm now using a Callaway 4 iron and it's an old model (2002 Big Bertha). I don't think the modern ones offer much more, they've been making great easy to use irons for ages now.

Looking bad (to the player) and feeling a bit unsweet is not bad for everyone. Depends what you want.

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
Pete

I think that is a slight generalisation as the X22 and the X20 before them are very much aimed at the highe handicap market in the same way as TM Burners. To that end they achieve what the set out to do which is to give a big sweetspot and a high ball flight.

They won't be to everyones taste but I don't hink you can honestly call them shocking. They won't win any prizes for looks but they are playable and for high handicappers thats what counts

The X22 tours are actually a very good club to hit. To answer Mono's question, the tour model has a thinner top line (the line you look down on when addressing. The face is slightly smaller and there is less of a cavity. I have to say they do look pretty good but I haven't tried them fully and only hit a few at a demo day. I think they are comparable with the TM TP (tour preferred)

Thanks Homer :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Callaways do one thing that players irons o not do for high handicappers and that is get the ball airbourne regardless of ground conditions.
I used them round a course I used to be a member of as the fiarways wernt great and the rough was awful. When I gave the game up I sold them on and when I joined Bangor I was using RAC lt's then onto the Titliests AP2s. One guy in my fourball uses pings (the ones with the thick top line, they feel very much like callys and to that end get the ball up also, when he tried my AP2s he couldnt get the ball above the treelines.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
I have the x22 tour irons and i ilke them really love the projectx shaft. They have a smaller head than the x22 so are a bit less forgiving.
Regards Mike

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Im have x20 irons not tours as I tend to hit a low ball flight so these are great for the higher trajectory I was looking for......great clubs,wouldn't swap them for the world....at the moment! ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thinking of changing my Big Bertha irons for either of the above sets from Callaway! What's the general opinion of these irons from the forum? I will be custom fitted when I do change and will try both but just wanted some feedback before I go?
Thanks!
As long as you get the right shaft for your swingspeed you can't go wrong. X22's are nice clubs...and you won't be able to blame your equipment :)

Regards...

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
If I had to buy one or the other, If it was real gun to the head, had to pick one or the other and use them, I would let them shoot me.

They are both shovels just like the Big Bertha irons why not buy some real golf clubs

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I had to buy one or the other, If it was real gun to the head, had to pick one or the other and use them, I would let them shoot me.

They are both shovels just like the Big Bertha irons why not buy some real golf clubs
Ha! I know what you mean. The X 20's have a bigger sole than my shoes!

That said I don't mind the X-forged in terms of appearance, played with some last week and they weren't too bad.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Just a shame we canny all be as gifted as you eh....

Try them...those thinned shots with your butter knives that come up short would turn into front of green shots and you could be playing off plus 5.....don't get your ego get in the way of technology,you know it makes sense... ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not buying into that "real golfers use blades" debate again but think its a shame freddielong can't see the bigger picture and that for most it a hobby and something they try and be good at but know deep down that other more important factors (motivation, work, family etc) will stop them investing the real time needed to get good enough to remotely consider blades of shallow cavity clubs.

As such why penalise them and make their life harder. There is a market for game improvers and they can at least enjoy the spprt and get some semblance of playability with cavity back (BB, Burner, G10 et al). Why castigate those less able. That does sound like ego getting in the way to me.