Callaway Edge Box Set / Costco

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sure, but I didn't mean bits of plastic. I meant bits of tungsten, which has to be cast into the club head as it won't weld to steel. A more expensive process, requiring more QA, etc.
And yes, the addition of tungsten weighting does lead to a better product. Loads of top end forgings from the top brands do this to aid forgiveness, even in bladed irons.

That leads us on to the skewing of the definition of forged irons.
Most of them (or at least those with internal weights) are what they sometimes call co-forged, in effect a casting that is then re-heated and given enough of a squeeze for them to feel justified in calling it "forged".

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The video reminded me of how unbelievably expensive golf is. £500 is definately great value in comparison with the current best clubs but in how many other sports would 500 be a bargain for your first lot of equipment? And thats before green fees, balls, bag, tees, clothes, shoes, etc etc.

I also dont think the fact that these can't be fit is really an issue. Fitting only seems to be offered on the very latest models these days and so fitting is not accessable to the average person (unless you have 2 grand for a full set of this seasons clubs).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Only just got round to watching the video. I think it is an ideal starter set, given the quality of the putter (and as Shiels said, would never have expected anything that good and with a decent grip on) and the fact head covers are chucked in. Granted there is a bag to pay for and then balls etc. but all in all a decent starter. Quality definitely looked functional and surely better to buy new that something used on Gumtree (especially given the number of fakes out there).

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder how much of the price differential is down to the materials in the clubs versus the fact that they won't need to be paying player sponsorship fees which are most likely loaded into the price of Mavrik and others.........

mir

weekendgolf.co
Saw an interesting video from Rick Shiels, Costco are selling a set of Callaway clubs, full box which includes Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid, Irons (6-SW) and Odyssey Putter. The box comes in at £480.00. Obviously you can’t get fitted or even try them and the option appears to be Regular shafts however the on course testing is a bit of any eye opener. Comparable set of Mavik would be around £1,800.00 off the shelf.

You can also read the In-Depth article here.

Diamond

Visit site
Last year I bought brand new Callaway XHot2 10 piece set for £549 and a Callaway stand bag for £50 from Clubhouse golf. The putter is the same putter and same Super Stroke grip, the Driver looks the same as does the 3 wood and 5 hybrid. I would say that it is a rebranded set and with the buying power of Costco its £50 cheaper. The biggest difference is the green flashes on the clubs rather than a burnt orange Colour with the XHot2.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
TaylorMade does the same in US stores Dick's Sporting Goods (insert your own wisecrack here) and Golf Galaxy. Seems like it is a way of using up end of line parts and possibly offering an entry point to the brand so people can later climb up the price scale. Its decent enough value and brand and price conscious players should take a look if they know the set up is suitable for them.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is an old thread but the subject matter is spot on.

When I played my one round of South Africa golf last week the hired clubs were these very bargain basement Callaway Edge clubs with the graphite shafts and the same Odyssey putter - I’m guessing the club may have purchased 6 sets as that’s all they had to hire out. Anyway..the bag was sand and pitching wedges; 9i to 6i; 5h, 3w and driver. Plus the Odyssey putter. All standard length graphite shafts except steel shaft for putter. And only balls they had were Callaway or Srixons…so bought and used Srixon Z Star Diamonds.

I play Ping 425 woods and i210 irons, latter fitted with steel shafts…all slightly shortened. And an Odyssey white hot #2 centre shaft putter. Titleist ProVs being regular ball.

First few holes was a little bit of a struggle - trying to control my tee shots mainly, as boy I could feel the shafts doing weird things. But I gradually got to grips with them. Didn’t score great front nine, but back nine played to my CH for the course.

So a borrowed just over half set of clubs completely different in look and feel - and length - from my own, playing a tricky course I’ve never seen before, hitting a make of ball I’ve never used before. And I am confident that had I chance to play the course again I’d have played to, or pretty close to, my course handicap.

What that says about these almost bargain basement clubs, or indeed more to the point about everything we are told and sold about clubs, balls and fitting etc…I do rather wonder.