Callaway Edge Box Set / Costco

Siolag

Visit site
It might be that the idea behind this is to get players onto Callaway clubs for a reasonable fee, then as the clubs either become too old, or the player feels they want something better, or that they just enjoy the game so much and have the money they will upgrade them, that they will stay brand loyal to Callaway.

How long clubs last would be an interesting discussion to have. If you get fitted, would you expect them to last longer? Or will there always be the allure of the shiny new things?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To give credit, I am surprised that the review took it as far as it did and that gets some respect from me. Easy to leave it at 'these are a good set of entry level clubs' and ignore any comparison to the latest, high end release and to not point out so often the concerns as to how Callaway justify the price of their high end gear. A good video.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I quite like some of Rick's videos, I just hate the way he always slows down... at the end... of... his sentences.
has he been watching Toast ??

Mind................................................................................the...................................................

Springveldt

Visit site
According to the comments, if you order online you can get stiff shafts if you need them.

Interesting video, they are probably just an older model that Callaway are cranking out cheap for Costco.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The Mavrik irons will be better quality materials, possibly a multi material biuld, which is more expensive, better quality control, tighter tolerances, etc, not just better shafts and grips. There will be a big difference in quality.

Depends how you're defining quality, more expensive materials and more bits of plastic stuck on doesn't necessarily make for better quality in my eyes.
Tighter tolerance? Maybe but will it have an impact?

And will the above materials, tolerances, quality control, make for a significantly better club in the hands of Joe Public?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite an interesting video, I'd say fir the average recreational player they're a perfectly good club at a very good price and is evidence glf doesn't have to be overly expensive

I've haven't enjoyed one of Ricks videos for ages that was actually decent.

Make you spot on.. I'd go as far as to say they would make a great second set for anyone

Say you were a member of a club and wanted to leave a set at the club for quick knock arounds .. or at a holiday home ..

First adult sets for people starting out .. we say look second hand but £500 for all that? You would be hard to beat it tbh

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I guess marketing comes into the picture too, these are seemingly unadvertised, not tour validated etc. and are pretty much an exclusive to Costco who will internally promote them.

With maverick and top lines we have the price of marketing and demo clubs etc. factored in. When these new clubs are released all the big players spend millions on advertisement, marketing, expo's etc. which we pay for in the product.

It just shows though minus some uplift in materials for improved quality shafts/grips and components etc. in terms of production cost the edge and maverick I imagine aren't a million miles away from each other.

I've tried to find out but I couldn't locate the number of Callaway stockists in the uk or worldwide.
They have a presence in somewhere between 70 and 100 course tries depending on which reports you read.
Just in the UK there are over 50 distributors within 50km of Chessington head office.....
There must be thousands worldwide...and they're all going to need driver heads in each loft for each of the 3 heads plus the Women's version plus a dozen shafts plus iron heads in various lies for all 3 versions plus another dozen shafts plus all the shipping costs and then they have to send samples to dozens of Youtubers...
Honestly, the costs must be phenomenal and that has to be built into the price.
And it's the same for TM, Ping, Titleist, Mizuno etc etc...
And, of course, the Pros get theirs.
All this probably adds 200 quid to the price of each club.
And that's something they're not doing with this Edge line
Which is why it can be sold cheaply
Add into the mix that they may not even be made by Callaway.
Callaway licences its name to be used on many products - I doubt Callaway actually make laser rangefinders, ball retrievers , umbrellas or shoes
They licence their name to Costco for use on certain items.
This Edge line may be made cheaply in China, a Callaway logo slapped on and shipped to Costco - all above board.
So...Callaway....but not really Callaway......

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Online the options are mens, mens graphite, ladies graphite. No flex choices. I've seen these instore and they're perfectly good looking clubs. Costco have had Taylor Made and Callaway Clubs for many years I remember buying my R320ti driver there moons ago, was my longest driver ever until it got banned due to the COR, also my age helped back then :D. No options cuts costs, you want a 5 wood to match, a 4 hybrid, stiff shafts, left handed, etc. sorry can't do any of that. Also these are in sheds, minimal overheads, no staff for advice or ability to try these out, but Costco has the best warranty and returns of any company I know of. The woods will be a lot cheaper to manufacture than a Mavrik, no hosel adjustment, no carbon, no weights, minimum technology but he got the driver to 95% of the distance. The irons looked good instore, well finished just as you would expect. Putter good quality too. Quite a limited audience though, only really useful if your starting from scratch with nothing or looking to change your whole bag.

Also I was in Costco at the weekend and they're still selling M4 drivers for more than I recently paid for a M6, so not always bargains, but generally most things in Costco are a good price, look out for anything priced ending in 97p as it means it's been reduced just like the Callaway bag Rick bought.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seem to be sold out in steel online already, just shows what a positive review online can do, just like the Kirkland balls a while ago.

AdamW

Visit site
Still seems a lot of money to spend without getting fitted though? Or are the benefits of being fitted over blown?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends what you consider a lot of money, the whole set is the price of most manufacturers latest drivers. In the video Rick estimates to buy a top of the range driver, fairway, hybrid, irons and putter would be over £1700 so likely over a £1000 saving. Only way you going to put a half decent set together for similar money is if you buy second hand or if your lucky to get some real bargains and then fitting is not an option either.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still seems a lot of money to spend without getting fitted though? Or are the benefits of being fitted over blown?
£500 isnt a lot of money for whats on offer which is really the point of the video

to get fit you normally neede to go latest model... which is £400 driver... £150 woods.. £120 hyrbid.. £400 irons and £100 putter

that set is £500 all in...

would do most as a starter set

if they dont like the game im sure they could sell on for a bit to a mate who wants to try..

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
£500 isnt a lot of money for whats on offer which is really the point of the video

to get fit you normally neede to go latest model... which is £400 driver... £150 woods.. £120 hyrbid.. £400 irons and £100 putter

that set is £500 all in...

would do most as a starter set

if they dont like the game im sure they could sell on for a bit to a mate who wants to try..

cant see many paying £500 for a “starter set” when you can get full sets of decent used cubs for £100-150 on gumtree

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
cant see many paying £500 for a “starter set” when you can get full sets of decent used cubs for £100-150 on gumtree

I agree, terrible for a starter set, it’s probably best as the set following a starter set. I would say it’s aimed at for anyone who:
- Doesn’t want to throw silly money at a set
- Is around average height
- and not looking for marginal gains to get the handicap down

Also great for anyone on those pay as you go memberships who is moving on from a starter set

Not everyone can afford to or needs buy a full set or ge custom fitted. You can then throw the money saved at actually playing golf.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s a great video given that golf gear instantly looks astronomical these days. It just shows what you can buy off the shelf. I would say you can pick up a full set of entry level Wilson staff for less as I did for my tall daughter.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It does raise questions about pricing/tech - I unfortunately am I poser and want to have the nice stuff in my bag. My friend I play with literally gives zero f's about the brand/looks and I wish I could do to. I'm just not like that I suppose.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Depends how you're defining quality, more expensive materials and more bits of plastic stuck on doesn't necessarily make for better quality in my eyes.
Tighter tolerance? Maybe but will it have an impact?

Sure, but I didn't mean bits of plastic. I meant bits of tungsten, which has to be cast into the club head as it won't weld to steel. A more expensive process, requiring more QA, etc.
And yes, the addition of tungsten weighting does lead to a better product. Loads of top end forgings from the top brands do this to aid forgiveness, even in bladed irons.