New golfer advice needed

Andymc

Visit site
Hi fellow golfers, my name is Andy and this is my first time on a golf forum.
2 month ago I found a set of Callaway x20’s with graphite shafts that a nephew was throwing away so I took them off his hands with the vintage bag and simple trolley.
I bought myself a second hand odyssey putter. An ST8TS hybrid and fairway woods (cheap rubbish) came on my path so I took them too.
Then having a bit of a Google found a weekend “get your handicap” course so got a cancellation and mange’s to pass for a Handicap 54 ?? Since then I started watching instruction videos from Pro golfer Rick Shiels on YouTube and now 6 weeks later have arrived on handicap 24/25.
I have not had any real lessons and was wondering how to lower my handicap further.
I want to get another 10 points off If possible.
Ohh and I can’t get the ball any further (straight) than 150m sometimes 170m.
Any useful tips will be very welcome.
Thanks, Andy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to see a pro in the flesh. You could be doing a multitude of things wrong but an online video wont tell you that. You need to get the basics right and to do that you need to see a proper person.

If you mention where you are some on here may be able to recommend a pro local to you. Otherwise it's a case of ask around locally for who people like or may suit.

Andymc

Visit site
You need to see a pro in the flesh. You could be doing a multitude of things wrong but an online video wont tell you that. You need to get the basics right and to do that you need to see a proper person.

If you mention where you are some on here may be able to recommend a pro local to you. Otherwise it's a case of ask around locally for who people like or may suit.
Sounds like sound advice, I wrecking your spot on. Location these days south of holland.

Andymc

Visit site
That's good advice. Lessons early on are a good investment. Sound fundamentals will pay dividends.

Other than that, have fun.
Thanks Ian, I will find a local pro and take some lessons.
Would I benefit from a new set of clubs ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like sound advice, I wrecking your spot on. Location these days south of holland.
Ah, in that case you will probably need to locate a pro yourself. Check the clubs near to you. Doing this will help you massively, get things right early on.

Enjoy, keep the questions coming.

Andymc

Visit site
Ah, in that case you will probably need to locate a pro yourself. Check the clubs near to you. Doing this will help you massively, get things right early on.

Enjoy, keep the questions coming.
Will look locally this week for lessons and will keep you posted ?? Would I possibly benefit from a new set of clubs ? Or am I jumping the gun massively?
Mine are well used X20s..
HWTL ?

Albo

Visit site
Dont get new clubs yet. Get a swing that works first. Your swing is much more important than the clubs you use

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thanks Ian, I will find a local pro and take some lessons.
Would I benefit from a new set of clubs ?
In reality we can't answer that. Have people improved scores with new clubs, yes. Is buying new clubs great fun, yes. If you fancy some & can afford then great.
Fundamentals might help you more though.
As a RS fan, did you watch this one?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usKjFd72Yso&ved=2ahUKEwiLnY684fzyAhVQasAKHTtnDCkQwqsBegQIBxAE&usg=AOvVaw2IKDL6nIzL4ZIMb4E-ACAp

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will look locally this week for lessons and will keep you posted ?? Would I possibly benefit from a new set of clubs ? Or am I jumping the gun massively?
Mine are well used X20s..
HWTL ?
I'd have your lesson/lessons first. Don't rush for new shiny clubs as you may want to change them again quite quickly if your game changes. I'm sure you will change them soon enough but a little patience now will save you buying twice.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd have your lesson/lessons first. Don't rush for new shiny clubs as you may want to change them again quite quickly if your game changes. I'm sure you will change them soon enough but a little patience now will save you buying twice.
Absolutely this. You’ll be getting them based on your present swing. Hit that 15 target and then go for them. It will be great motivation.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
Hi fellow golfers, my name is Andy and this is my first time on a golf forum.
2 month ago I found a set of Callaway x20’s with graphite shafts that a nephew was throwing away so I took them off his hands with the vintage bag and simple trolley.
I bought myself a second hand odyssey putter. An ST8TS hybrid and fairway woods (cheap rubbish) came on my path so I took them too.
Then having a bit of a Google found a weekend “get your handicap” course so got a cancellation and mange’s to pass for a Handicap 54 ?? Since then I started watching instruction videos from Pro golfer Rick Shiels on YouTube and now 6 weeks later have arrived on handicap 24/25.
I have not had any real lessons and was wondering how to lower my handicap further.
I want to get another 10 points off If possible.
Ohh and I can’t get the ball any further (straight) than 150m sometimes 170m.
Any useful tips will be very welcome.
Thanks, Andy.

TexasLowHandiCap

Visit site
See a Local Golf Pro. If you learned to Fly a Plane. All the Videos in the World Could Not Help You. You need to know how the Golf Swing Works. Most players get into Bad Habits early on. It gets very hard to get rid of them. Taking your club from the Inside. I was a Golf Rat growing up. My Father was the Golf Pro. So I had a club in my hand since I was very young. Like most kids. I did not listen to My Dad. I had a golf coach through out my 20's through my 40's. As long as I saw my coach once a Month. It helped. Now at the age of 61. I have a new coach. I am playing Scratch again. Honestly. I understand the Golf Swing now that I am Older. A Coach will be your Best Investment. You will enjoy the Game More.

Miller

Visit site
In the short term, I'd recommend videoing yourself or getting someone to video you during your swing. Having a good look at your posture and swing can help a lot in self-diagnosis.