Callaway Edge Box Set / Costco

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Saw an interesting video from Rick Shiels, Costco are selling a set of Callaway clubs, full box which includes Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid, Irons (6-SW) and Odyssey Putter. The box comes in at £480.00. Obviously you can’t get fitted or even try them and the option appears to be Regular shafts however the on course testing is a bit of any eye opener. Comparable set of Mavik would be around £1,800.00 off the shelf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I've seen them in Costco before. I figured they were bog standard entry-level stuff, like the Warbird stuff they do.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers for sharing, really enjoyed watching.
Certainly raises a lot of questions.

Siolag

Visit site
Certainly makes you think that a set like that, coupled with maybe an extra wedge would suit most players. I would perhaps like a 5 iron as well, but you could get a decent little set for approx £800.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Very interesting and it does raise the question as to how Callaway (or any other manufacturer) can justify the exorbitant prices they charge for their equipment.
The price of golf clubs has risen tremendously over the last 5-10 years, well above the rate of inflation. And, if we're being honest, the technical improvements don't justify the increases in price.
For the vast majority of golfers these clubs are more than adequate.

Siolag

Visit site
Very interesting and it does raise the question as to how Callaway (or any other manufacturer) can justify the exorbitant prices they charge for their equipment.
The price of golf clubs has risen tremendously over the last 5-10 years, well above the rate of inflation. And, if we're being honest, the technical improvements don't justify the increases in price.
For the vast majority of golfers these clubs are more than adequate.

They can justify it because people will pay the money. Very similar stuff happens in other equipment based sports, cycling springs to mind. I remember seeing guys with bikes as light as a tour pros and a beer belly when I was a triathlete. Clearly the bike wont make a massive difference if you aren't fit, but if people want to buy them and have the money, what difference does it make?

I agree, I think these clubs would be good enough for most. If I didn't have perfectly decent clubs, I would consider a set like this.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Cheap clubs perform very similar to expensive clubs, amazing... not.

At the end of the day all clubs are a weight on the end of a stick, you'd have to go out of your way to make a bad one.

You can get round a course in a decent score using any junk, new or old.

But if you like the top line stuff then go for it. :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically the complexity has been stripped out .. we as customers generate complexity as does the requirement for a fitting .. in general a fitting will yield a benefit but the level of that benefit isn't significant nor is buying brand new tech every year if you were fitted for it originally.
I don't know about you but I am average build and height, I can vary my swing speed if a club feels a little to floppy but more often than not I can utilise a stiff or a regular shaft .. but I don't buy clubs every year and I am not a beginner going into my first foray at the game. These clubs would perform to a very similar level to my own, I am sure.

When my boy shows an interest this the direction I will head with him, it seems a very good starter set that will satisfy the new or infrequent golfer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheap clubs perform very similar to expensive clubs, amazing... not.

At the end of the day all clubs are a weight on the end of a stick, you'd have to go out of your way to make a bad one.

You can get round a course in a decent score using any junk, new or old.

But if you like the top line stuff then go for it. :)
My full set of forged irons cost me £299 13yrs ago (mind you they might be rubbish - but I don't think so). Over the years since I've topped them up with a Ping G10 driver (£50), Ping G20 4w (£120); Cleveland Launcher Hybrid (£110); Odyssey White Hot Pro (£90); and a couple of Vokey wedges (£80 each). Mmmh £830 - best not tell my Mrs that 's how much the lot cost...but over 13yrs not too bad (£64/year on average). Not bought any other clubs over that period.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The mantra of the Youtubers- Go get fitted...
And then show a set of clubs that you cant get fitted for....I suspect if you tried to bend them they'd simply break.
The materials may well be of lesser quality which could lead to less durability and they could be completely unsuitable for you
Is £500 spent on unsuitable clubs better than £1k on a set that do..?
Callaway have always had a "cheap" line - Warbird was one and theres been at least one other version of Edge so it's nothing new.
The quality is lower than the main lines, the components cheaper
TM had a range of clubs sold only in JJB Sports shops about 10 or more years ago.
Similar to the "real" ones but cheap shafts and grips, little choice of lofts and less tech ( fixed weights rather than movable)
There's a place for these clubs, they're starter sets to get people playing and that has to be a good thing but I'd be surprised if a set lasted more than a couple of years whereas you'd get many more out of a main line product
They're there to fill a hole in the market

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I guess marketing comes into the picture too, these are seemingly unadvertised, not tour validated etc. and are pretty much an exclusive to Costco who will internally promote them.

With maverick and top lines we have the price of marketing and demo clubs etc. factored in. When these new clubs are released all the big players spend millions on advertisement, marketing, expo's etc. which we pay for in the product.

It just shows though minus some uplift in materials for improved quality shafts/grips and components etc. in terms of production cost the edge and maverick I imagine aren't a million miles away from each other.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They'd have to go out of their way to use cheap enough materials that will fail within a couple of years.

I'd say these will last longer, less crappy bits of plastic stuck on them to make them look great, just solid, workmanlike clubs.

But if you want to pay top dollar then go ahead, you pays your money and takes your choice. :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Mavrik irons will be better quality materials, possibly a multi material biuld, which is more expensive, better quality control, tighter tolerances, etc, not just better shafts and grips. There will be a big difference in quality.

Wolf

Visit site
Quite an interesting video, I'd say fir the average recreational player they're a perfectly good club at a very good price and is evidence glf doesn't have to be overly expensive