Callaway CXR balls?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that, until the middle of this afternoon, the previous latest post on this thread was over 3 years ago?

I only noticed because GIBBO had posted on it.

Chasey

Visit site
I am off 12.8 and I used to use Prov1 and 1X lake balls purchasing off Ebay, but I found a CXR Power on my course plaid it and liked it mainly because it was so straight.

I have a high swing speed and avg drive is 250+ yards and the CXR gives me no advantage over the ProV1. In the wind I sometimes go back to the proV1 as it seems to fly lower and run out more. Is it mad to say the PV1 feels heavier? I am sure its not, but it feels more solid off the driver. Not hard like a Top Flight, just more substantial

In terms of feel I am told the Prov1 is soft and the CXR is hard? I cant feel this at all. I find the ProV1s similar in feel if not slightly harder in contact with long irons and I deffo need to hit them harder with the putter

My other favorate ball is the Srixon AD333 and that feels soft and hits long but I get a lot more waywood drives than I do with the PV1 or CXR and its like putting a super ball

I won a box of Srixon Soft Feel and just hated them. They felt fantastic off the irons buttery soft, but I couldn't control the pace on puts or chips. I am much more comfortable the more positive solid putting stroke I could use on the PV1s or CXRs. So in this respect I suppose I prefer the harder ball but I hate the Top Flight rocks and people keep telling me the PV1 is soft???? So I am a little confused on this issue.

In the summer months our greens are rock hard and I do fight for stoppage on the greens with the CXR. I am sure a ball that cuts and slices less is going to have less spun and wont stop as well.

I cant honestly say I have noticed a massive improvement playing the AD333 or ProV1 in this respect but it seems apparent to me I hit lower scores in the winter, when I can hit and hold greens, than I do in the dry months where disappearing off the back seems the norm.

I don't know if I can change this by just using a high spin ball, but having had no rain for a month now I am going to try a couple of V-high spin balls and see if the scoring round the greens can make up for the wayward T shots.

I pay 9.99 for 12 CXR Power balls at Sports Direct and frankly for 2 X the money, I simply cant think of a better ball. I have used them for about three years now and come down from a 15HC in that time frame.

Is the PV1 a significantly better ball? Possibly, but I have to base this on what people tell me rather than my own experience. Perhaps as a 12.8 I am not good enough to notice the difference and for that reason I cant justify the price. I am far more likely to try and adapt my chipping and putting to suit the AD333 than I am to start paying out for the PV1s

ATB

Mark

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Balls!.... :(

When we are talking about this, are we talking bounce games or proper matches?

I find it a little odd how many rather "challenged" players at my club tee it up with balls out of a £37.50 box. I've even seen ProVs at £45!

I'll happily play with Bay Hills, Donnays, Dunlops, Noodles, Pinnacles in a knock about.

In a friendly match, I'll normally use balls from my previous comp game (e5, DX, NXT)

It seems such an incredible waste (i.m.o.) to spend £3-4/ball just to lose it soon enough.

I play the best ball I can afford, but only in real games.

? :) ?

That's ok until your arranging a yellow ball comp as part of an away trip, order two doz e6's and the *** insert abusive word *** does bloody ship then!

Impressed not!