Callaway CXR balls?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sports Direct have a dozen of these balls for £9.99 reduced from £29.99.

Has anyone played with these? Are they a bargain? Or are they a bit pants?

I can't find any decent reviews on the net.

Cheers

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if i remember right they are 2 peice balls that are like concrete i bought some to practice with from costco ended up just hitting them with driver and leaving them

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if i remember right they are 2 peice balls that are like concrete i bought some to practice with from costco ended up just hitting them with driver and leaving them

Cheers mate

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i found one, played 9 holes with it and was +3 gross (play off 14)

as i plucked it out of the cup one final time i did remark that possibly the ball you play with doesn't really make such an enormous difference as we like to think.

having said that, i wouldn't necessarily buy any myself, but they can't be that bad for an Ayrton.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
By sheer coincidence I was passing Sports Direct a couple of hours ago and popped in and saw the balls you mention. Firstly; for them to claim they are reduced form £29.99 is a lie. They are also selling SrixonAD333 for £14 ish claiming they are reduced from £24. Has anyone ever seen these balls on sale for £24? I can get them cheaper than the £14 sports direct are selling them for.

However I do use the Calloway CXR most of the time, I get them from Costco for £19 +VAT for 2 dozen. As a high handicapper who gets through a few balls, they are good enough for me; I get good distance from them. I suppose they wouldn’t suit the good uns who like a soft ball with a bit of spin.

I was recently given 3 sample “try me” Srixon Z star pure white balls by my local golf shop. Wow! Did I notice the difference? If I ever win the lottery they will be my ball of choice, but until I win the lottery its Costco’s Calloway CXRs. The 3 Z stars ended up in the same place as all my previous CXRs, in the water or lost in woods

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody using these just now or is the consensus that they are pretty poor.

I need to get some new balls but I'm loosing my fair share so don't want to spend £20 on a dozen.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not using these but I have been looking for a cheaper ball. When I play on my own in the evenings and have no help finding balls I have been losing too many in the penal rough.

I just bought a dozen Callaway Warbird 2.0s for £12.00 which I did not think was too bad. Was really surprised on how well they played, not that hard, good distance and good to putt with. May be a bit less check and feel around the green but for a 2 piece distance ball that are not too expensive, they are pretty decent.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
CXR are rubbish. I bought some in Aldi for £4.99 in 2011 (?)

Sports Direct will make up any tosh to sell stuff.

Next they'll be selling Nike balls RRP £59.99 for £6.43.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
By sheer coincidence I was passing Sports Direct a couple of hours ago and popped in and saw the balls you mention. Firstly; for them to claim they are reduced form £29.99 is a lie. They are also selling SrixonAD333 for £14 ish claiming they are reduced from £24. Has anyone ever seen these balls on sale for £24?
RRP price, similar to pretty much Everybody.
For example.... velociy rrp about £28 !!!!

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'm exactly the same.

Too often I'm finding the thicker grass it's unbelievable how many I'm failing to find.

What about the pro v1 lake ball packs you get in JJB.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah I'm exactly the same.

Too often I'm finding the thicker grass it's unbelievable how many I'm failing to find.

What about the pro v1 lake ball packs you get in JJB.

Alot of these are either recycled or refinished.

How exactly do you recycle a golf ball? Are there special bins outside supermarkets?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was given a doz of them. Just been using them up. When I go for a quick 9. With the rough so thick if I hit one in, I just leave it and drop another to play with. Soon get rid of them lol.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sports Direct have a dozen of these balls for £9.99 reduced from £29.99.

Has anyone played with these? Are they a bargain? Or are they a bit pants?

I can't find any decent reviews on the net.

Cheers
My mate just bought a Dozen, and is playng against me the morra will let you know how many he finishes with.:rolleyes:

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They do feel like bricks but I advised my mate to buy some as he;s just starting out and my guess would be anything 'named' or made by a proper golf make will be better than dunlop!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do feel like bricks but I advised my mate to buy some as he;s just starting out and my guess would be anything 'named' or made by a proper golf make will be better than dunlop!

Don't count on it. I found a dunlop loco "tour" and I honestly thought it was a cracking ball so soft of the putter and plenty of spin with wedges. If I could find them I would probably use them instead of the titleists!

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you want relatively cheap ball with good performance look at the Pinnacle Precision Gold, or the new high optics Gold which has replaced it. You can get 15 balls for £10, (45 delivered for £30 from CG Discount Golf), and unlike the majority of cheap balls is has both good distance and feel around the greens.

I use these in yellow in winter as they re easy to see and I personally feel that the ball is better than the Nike Soft Feel, Callaway Warbird/CXR, TM Burner, and Srixon Distance despite its price.

It is comparrable with the AD333 however the AD333 just edges it in terms of performance whereas the Pinnacle edges it in terms of value for money.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I seen the AD3333 for sale in Sports direct aswell.

Could be an option. Im definitly steering clear of the CXR. Would ideally be looking for something with a bit of a soft feel.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah I seen the AD3333 for sale in Sports direct aswell.

Could be an option. Im definitly steering clear of the CXR. Would ideally be looking for something with a bit of a soft feel.

Srixon Soft Feel?

Never played them myself but a lot of the folk at my track do and rate them highly.