Callaway CXR balls?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Balls!.... :(

When we are talking about this, are we talking bounce games or proper matches?

I find it a little odd how many rather "challenged" players at my club tee it up with balls out of a £37.50 box. I've even seen ProVs at £45!

I'll happily play with Bay Hills, Donnays, Dunlops, Noodles, Pinnacles in a knock about.

In a friendly match, I'll normally use balls from my previous comp game (e5, DX, NXT)

It seems such an incredible waste (i.m.o.) to spend £3-4/ball just to lose it soon enough.

I play the best ball I can afford, but only in real games.

? :) ?

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
thats my thinking at the moment dave.

Im just playing practise rounds at the moment and im gauranteed to loose 1 or 2 balls a game. If I can get 12 decent balls for around a tenner i'll be happy.

When I sign up to my first comp I'll treat my self to a dozen Hex's or something.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Mind you if I sort my slice off the tee I might not loose as many thus allowing me to spend a little bit more.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

I find it a little odd how many rather "challenged" players at my club tee it up with balls out of a £37.50 box. I've even seen ProVs at £45!

I'll happily play with Bay Hills, Donnays, Dunlops, Noodles, Pinnacles in a knock about.

In a friendly match, I'll normally use balls from my previous comp game (e5, DX, NXT)

It seems such an incredible waste (i.m.o.) to spend £3-4/ball just to lose it soon enough.

Totally agree.

Which is why I buy mine from eBay :thup:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i thought they were the same as the Callaway Big berthas which needed rebrandnig after the Diablos appeared, which are the sameish ball.

Must admit i'm surprised you all find them hard - i thought they were softer than current Pinnacles. I've always got a spare dozen of the CRX in the car, and £15 for 333s is good value.

I suppose everyone criticising the mark downs reckons their Dunlop trousers originally were worth £70 as well :)

Good value in a recession i say

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i thought they were the same as the Callaway Big berthas which needed rebrandnig after the Diablos appeared, which are the sameish ball.

Must admit i'm surprised you all find them hard - i thought they were softer than current Pinnacles. I've always got a spare dozen of the CRX in the car, and £15 for 333s is good value.

I suppose everyone criticising the mark downs reckons their Dunlop trousers originally were worth £70 as well :)

Good value in a recession i say

Have never heard that they were rebranded Big Berthas. If they are then I would be more than happy to use them as I quite liked the old Big Bertha ball.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Phoned the local discount sports shop. as I pass one on the way home.

"do you have any srixon ad3333's in store"

"hold on sir...........yes plenty"

Stopped in after work. No ad3333 but I bought 2 dozen soft feels. Going by comments online people seem to be fairly chuffed with them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
...I bought 2 dozen soft feels. Going by comments online people seem to be fairly chuffed with them.

the balls that stay in the bag in the summer, rather than going to the big boxes in the shed, are ProV's, Bridgestone 3300, Z stars, iS, Pentas...and Srixon Soft feels :)

Enjoy them

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow. What a difference a change of ball makes.

The first week was a tough one, really struggling to control the ball of the tee which meant I was finding rough or a completely different fairway.

Went up tonight with the srixon's. 1st tee. Boom! Right up the middle Way beyond the distance I normally reach.

My stance and swing are untouched. Can a change of ball really make that much difference.

shammay

Visit site
I play off around 20, and I find the Nike PD soft very good in all aspects. However, I always play par 3s with a ProV1, as it feels a lot better off the tee. Other good 2 piece balls include Srixon ad333, srixon soft feel, and titleist dt solo. Warbirds are hugely overrated in my opinion. If you're thinking of a 3-piece ball, nxt tour, wilson staff dx3 are good. SnaitonGolf are offering Nike Vapor Black at 14.99 which is a great offer.

Chilkoot

Visit site
I'm off 18 and have used the Titleist popular balls, NXT, Pro V1 and V1x etc for many a year now and find them all perfect. I was given a box of CXR's for a prezzie a few months ago and I started to use them in the winter. At £13 for 24 pearl grade from Ace Golf Balls much cheaper than replacing one or two of the aforementioned balls. I guess it depends on your budget, likes/dislikes, skills etc. However, the first two rounds I used them I beat my H/C by 2 shots and 3 shots respectively. (no winter greens or tees in use) I think I'll carry on with them for the winter and see how |I get on.... I will post on here after Christmas with an update

TM Superfast Burner
TM 3 wood
Wilson DR 3 and 4 Hybrid
Wilson DR 5 - SW
Odyssey White Hot putter
Cleveland 60 and 64 wedges
:putt:

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. What a difference a change of ball makes.

The first week was a tough one, really struggling to control the ball of the tee which meant I was finding rough or a completely different fairway.

Went up tonight with the srixon's. 1st tee. Boom! Right up the middle Way beyond the distance I normally reach.

My stance and swing are untouched. Can a change of ball really make that much difference.

Are you saying it was the ball that was stopping you from hitting it left or right? If the srixon went straight up the middle then so would have the callaway.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
If you must buy a ball from Sports Direct and you have less than a tenner, don't go past the Dunlop NZ9-V3. Seriously.

A far better ball than the Wilson Ultra/Nike PD/TM XP that they offer around the same price; you just need to get over the fact they are Dunlop.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I agree with that statement. But as long as you don't want Pro V1s and are are happy with last years model (how much do golf balls really change from one year to another?) you can get the premium ball in most manufacturers ranges for around £2 a ball if you shop around a bit. For example http://golfdepot.co.uk/category/balls/1/16/

Plus many people say good things about balls from companies like Vice that are usually cheaper than the big known brands.