Buying new clubs in America

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys,

Has any of yous done this before? And if so how did you find the pricing compared to UK?

Also did you ship it back or take it back with you?

Am heading to Orlando now in a couple of weeks. And with the exchange rate going in our favour for once am temped to change most of bag (most of my gear is over ten years old now). Also I've picked up a 0% on foreign purchases for 15 months credit card which isn't helping my urge lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bear in mind, if you ship it back you will get hit for duty and vat. Same for bringing it back, I suspect. Check how that works, it's pretty central to the maths on this.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you're taking clubs out, donate them to a goodwill when you're there and buy the new ones.
Then just bring them home and keep everything crossed they don't overly investigate the luggage. And don't keep the receipts!
Sorted.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of our guys looked at doing this the last time we were in Florida and the price of clubs, even at the big golf stores, weren't much cheaper. That was in 2012 when the exchange rate was $1.59 / £1, whereas it is now $1.29 / £1

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've never bought golf clubs in any country in the world other than the United States.

I never realized that it might be a different experience in different nations.

In fact, it's hard to imagine that an industrial nation like the UK, home of the world's greatest golf courses in my opinion,
isn't a major manufacturer of golf clubs like the US and Japan.
The capability is obviously there. Not the will for some reason.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I often end up having a look at golf equipment when I'm in the US, simply because their shops are often like megastores. I rarely buy anything though as it isn't any cheaper, particularly with the poor exchange rate we've had for a long time.

I remember going to Orlando around 2004, and you could get $2 to the £1! More like $1.30 now :(

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some of our guys looked at doing this the last time we were in Florida and the price of clubs, even at the big golf stores, weren't much cheaper. That was in 2012 when the exchange rate was $1.59 / £1, whereas it is now $1.29 / £1
Yeah am only going to do it if cheaper if the same price or even a 100 quid of difference then I'll just leave it.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I often end up having a look at golf equipment when I'm in the US, simply because their shops are often like megastores. I rarely buy anything though as it isn't any cheaper, particularly with the poor exchange rate we've had for a long time.

I remember going to Orlando around 2004, and you could get $2 to the £1! More like $1.30 now :(
Yeah if no cheaper I won't get anything

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bear in mind, if you ship it back you will get hit for duty and vat. Same for bringing it back, I suspect. Check how that works, it's pretty central to the maths on this.
Am flying into Dublin. So was hoping I could avoid that. Being from n.ireland UK I suspect they won't to worried about me landing with a set of golf.. ( I hope 😂)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never bought golf clubs in any country in the world other than the United States.

I never realized that it might be a different experience in different nations.

In fact, it's hard to imagine that an industrial nation like the UK, home of the world's greatest golf courses in my opinion,
isn't a major manufacturer of golf clubs like the US and Japan.
The capability is obviously there. Not the will for some reason.
Have you looked at your 'Made in the USA ' clubs recently. Pretty sure you will find the stamp 'Made in China '. Callaway, TM, take your pick. All Chinese made.

Skytot

Visit site
I did this years ago but didn’t pull the trigger when I was in Orlando . When I was returning through Customs at Manchester with my old clubs they pulled me over and started asking me questions & checking my old clubs . They thought I might have bought a new Ping putter but when they looked at the grip on mine all crumbling and frayed, I think they realised I didn’t buy anything.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago I went into a golf shop in Cologne. Flippin eck it was expensive. I mentioned it to the hotel owner who was a golfer. He knew which shop I was on about and he said” that’s why I buy all my stuff from the UK as it is so cheap”. Check out places like Golf support, which has another 10% off clubs at the moment.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you looked at your 'Made in the USA ' clubs recently. Pretty sure you will find the stamp 'Made in China '. Callaway, TM, take your pick. All Chinese made.
Yeah, if the prices are the same I'll just not bother. It's only if there was a saving to be
I did this years ago but didn’t pull the trigger when I was in Orlando . When I was returning through Customs at Manchester with my old clubs they pulled me over and started asking me questions & checking my old clubs . They thought I might have bought a new Ping putter but when they looked at the grip on mine all crumbling and frayed, I think they realised I didn’t buy anything.

Jez a bit strict ott. Am flying into Dublin and live in n.ireland UK. So don't think the Irish customs be to worried about me bringing a set home. Tho as some people have pointed out price wise might be no saving to be had so if that's the case I'll just forget about it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, if the prices are the same I'll just not bother. It's only if there was a saving to be had.
That was more aimed at Boomer believing clubs are still made in the US. They may be assembled there but the component parts will all be produced in China now, sadly.

It's a few years since I was in Orlando. There were 2-3 huge golf stores next to each other, it was golfers heaven. Never seen so many clubs in one place, putters in particular. Great fun to walk around. As you say, it's all about the exchange rate. It was against us when we were there so there were no bargains to be had. If it is the other way...............

If you haven't been in one yet, go into a Dick's Sporting Goods store. Mind blowing. Tennis racket, baseball mitt, golf driver, crossbow, rifle. All in the same place :oops: . Heck of a place to wander around.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been to that neck of the woods a few times, I will confess to looking at many golf stores and their stuff, but TBH it doesn't seem worth it. The best bargains I found, was the outlet type stores oyu see in many of the retail enclaves there and the cost of quality polo shirts.
At one visit, I picked up 6 polos, for 5$ each. The exchange rate was $2 per £.
I just wish they still fitted.....

D-S

Visit site
We were in Florida in January. Clubs at the major stores are not really worth the money, a little bit cheaper but not enough. As Bunkermagmet says go to one of the Outlet Malls where clothing and shoes can be at ridculously cheap pricing with a full selection of colours styles and prices unlike Outlet places over here.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Perhaps the components are made in China, but they're made for American companies.

I would think that a golf rich nation like the UK would have prestige brand golf equipment companies as well.