Buying advice needed for first set of clubs.

bubble05

Visit site
Hi there,

I've just started taking lessons and want to buy my own clubs, can anyone recommend a particular brand of clubs. Would I need a full set as a novice? Am i better to get a set or just get individual ones, also new or second-hand?
I'm female (not sure if that matters) and my budget is about £200 maximum.

Thanks.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi and welcome aboard Bubble, for your budget second hand better clubs is definately the way forward. Cheap clubs are made using substandard parts and it wouldnt be long before you found heads flying off and weights coming loose inside the shaft. If you are sure you want to play the game then a reasonable set of irons is a must, I personally wouldnt recommend a half set as you will eventually want more so a set of 5-pw irons, a sand wedge, a 3 or 5 wood and a putter would be plenty for now.

you could do a lot worse than a set of ladies callaway irons, they are designed to help get the ball airbourne more so than some other makes.
A quick looksie on ebay sohw items like this,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Callaway-X20-Ladie...9#ht_500wt_1156
Im not saying you have to buy them, nor do I know the seller but wouldnt be a bad set if gotten for a decent price, wedges, putters and woods are a lot cheaper than the irons.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Does your local pro shop have any second hand sets or half sets for ladies or for seniors as they are very similar.
If you start off with a second hand set, you can see how you get on and if you're hooked, you can always upgrade later.
So a second hand half set for starters.
Stick with Callaway, Ping etc and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
totally agree with Brendy (funnily enough i think he was the first reply to my first post), a used quality brand set at a reasonable price is the way forward.

Dont get me wrong, I started off with a set of dunlops from sport soccer but looking back nothing went right until I moved onto a set of used Wilson Fatshaft 2's.

Even now, in under two years I've upgraded again to a new set of Wilsons so dont spend too much until you've have a go and are sure you'll stick with it.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dont get me wrong, I started off with a set of dunlops from sport soccer but looking back nothing went right until I moved onto a set of used Wilson Fatshaft 2's.

I'm playing with Dunlops. Had my old clubs (still crap ones) stolen a couple of years back and got a full set and bag for £65 the morning of a golf weekend from sport soccer. I've had my dodgey times like everyone but I've shot 79 with then, shot 82 on thursday with them and really feel I could get myself down to around 14/15 if I was playing this year. I do really want to invest in come equipment. Does its really make that much of a difference?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Scores like that suggest that the clubs arn't performing too bad for you at the moment. I dont think that theres any doubt a good set of custom fit clubs should improve your game but I think I would wait until you get your handicap down a little so that the clubs you buy are really going to be "the ones". Off a high handicap you may need to change the clubs you buy now, if your swing changes, as you get better you will settle into "your" swing and then custom clubs will come into their own.

If money is no object I would forget all that pish and get custom fit now though!

Chris

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If money is no object I would forget all that pish and get custom fit now though!

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll be investing in some proper equipment when I'm back from Aus (if I come back). Get a few lessons, get a custom fit and see how low I can get. Need to learn to hit woods though as I'm an all iron player at present.

Thanks again