Buying a 2 iron

Visit site
Hi,

I have been playing with a set of ping zing irons and I love my 3 iron. I play it off the tee and more often than not it goes straight and a decent distance for me. What I'm wondering is whether it's worth getting a 2 iron off ebay, as I like hitting long irons and in theory the 2 iron off the tee would give me more distance.

Thanks,

James

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi,

I have been playing with a set of ping zing irons and I love my 3 iron. I play it off the tee and more often than not it goes straight and a decent distance for me. What I'm wondering is whether it's worth getting a 2 iron off ebay, as I like hitting long irons and in theory the 2 iron off the tee would give me more distance.

Thanks,

James

why not nothing to lose.

D

Deleted member 21258

I bought one for Adam a month ago, an old x14 2 iron off ebay. He uses it quite a bit into wind or for x yardage. Only cost about £25 posted and barely been used. So not a lot of money even if it didn't work.

I cant hit it for toffee, just looks like no loft on it. So very much a personal thing, if you like a 3 iron, then you will probably be okay with it.

Why not buy one.:rofl:

Visit site
I bought one for Adam a month ago, an old x14 2 iron off ebay. He uses it quite a bit into wind or for x yardage. Only cost about £25 posted and barely been used. So not a lot of money even if it didn't work.

I cant hit it for toffee, just looks like no loft on it. So very much a personal thing, if you like a 3 iron, then you will probably be okay with it.

Why not buy one.:rofl:

Thanks, Yh I'm ok with a 3 iron, particularly off the tee. I was just thinking well I can hit a 3 iron nice and straight off the tee so why not try a 2 iron to see if I can get some more distance.

The problem is I'm only 5ft3 so normal sized clubs might not be the best. It's tempting to go down the custom fit route but that's expensive.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The loft on a Ping Zing 2 iron is 17.5 degree.

You could look at the lofts on other manufacturers clubs (newer models) and find that their 3 iron might fit the bill.

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are loads of modern 'driving' irons available these days and they are generally pretty easy to hit. I have a Mizuno FliHi that I use on links courses, piece of cake off the tee and forgiving off the fairway too.

Go for it :thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would tend to take a tad different viewpoint to most answers here simply by what i have seen with this over time

likely be far better off from a more consistent point of view to look at hybrids/5metal

an ordinary 2iron more a definite no no as most likely not to have the club head speed to have the club head delivery to give functional launch conditions
- a driving iron even not so easy for most index players to use properly very likely won't be so much distance over the 3 iron simply because of the speed of the club head delivery likely won't be there even before looking at the club head delivery & launch conditions

certainly no reason not to try a driving 2 iron out before buying but really that has to be by using a launch monitor hit the 3i get the numbers see what the driving 2 iron gives get a real world answer through the data - pit the 2driving iron & 3i those against the hybrids & a 5metal - virtually 99% of the time index players are better with dispersion & consistent distance with the hybrids or the 5metal

just trying the driving iron by eye on a range is not goin to give a real world answer

[video=youtube;1IwatDdXGKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IwatDdXGKk[/video]

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a set of Ping i3+ 3-9 and soon after getting them I bought a 2 iron from the pro shop. Absolutely love it

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I brought a Srixon Z565 3 iron, which had been bent to 17*. Brilliant club, love it off the tee. Hit it around the 215 yards mark, and its usually straight which is ideal on tight fairway holes. As other have said, keep an eye out for 3 irons in other sets as they are getting seriously strong these days. Otherwise maybe look to get your 3 iron bent stronger? If you only use it off the tee its got to be worth a try?!