Button

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was pleased t.b.h.

Rigged or not, these guys are to be respected for the utter madness of driving a big go-kart at 200 mph.

Fair play to Jenson....

I thought it was less dubious than last year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see him win it. He's paid his dues especially in a poor Honda so I'm pleased for him. Not a big F1 fan but glad a Brit won and glad to see someone who gets on with the job (admittedly well paid) and trys every time he drives

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most rigged sport in the world. (Especially this year!)

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

I cannot comprehend how the major players from the previous years, ie Ferrari, McLaren, Renault etc. could be so bad for so long, while teams with less money and less experience such as Brawn, Red Bull and Torro Rosso could have done so well. I think in an effort to make it more exciting and less of a two/three horse race, Bernie has told the "Big Boys" to hold back for the first half of the season and then play "Catch-up".
If you want to watch exciting motorsport, I suggest British Touring Cars.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
The most rigged sport in the world. (Especially this year!)

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

I cannot comprehend how the major players from the previous years, ie Ferrari, McLaren, Renault etc. could be so bad for so long, while teams with less money and less experience such as Brawn, Red Bull and Torro Rosso could have done so well. I think in an effort to make it more exciting and less of a two/three horse race, Bernie has told the "Big Boys" to hold back for the first half of the season and then play "Catch-up".
If you want to watch exciting motorsport, I suggest British Touring Cars.

That is THE most ridiculous comment i've ever read on this board!!! :D :D :D :D :D

The fact the "smaller" teams have done so well this season has nothing at all to do with Bernie but some ingenious designs from the likes of Patrick Head, Nick Fry & Gustav Brunner on the double diffuser issue at the start of the season.

Never before has a bunch of rule changes made so many huge changes to the cars, in close season the designers used to use the outgoing car as a starting block and work on that. The 2009 cars have had to be designed from the ground up as totally new concepts, and it just so happens that the designers from these "smaller" teams had better ideas than the big boys!

Why on earth, would McLaren, Ferrari et al accept being told to take a back seat???? Absolutely proposterous

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year, Mclaren stole some information and incurred massive fines, Ferrari breached countless rules and got a slapped wrist, Renault deliberately crashed in Singapore and got a suspended sentence. Now tell me that is fair. :D

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I dont doubt for 1 minute that the FIA are very very very biased towards Ferrari and, if you cast your mind back to Ferrari at Singapore last year when Massa drove off with his fuel hose still attached, Ferrari never got penalised for it.....yet Heikki did the same yesterday and McLaren get fined $50,000 for it.

Not fair at all.

However, to imply that Bernie has told the big boys to be crap for the start of the season is a bit silly is it not?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
How else can you explain that all the top teams at the end of last year were so bad at the beginning of this year?
Last year was so processional and boring that something had to be done to try and create a bit of excitement, although it failed miserably.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I won't be drawn into the 'scandel' debate here. But Jenson drove his socks off if the fist third of the race on Sunday. His overtaking was entertaining and exciting to watch.

As usual the new world champion was in the right car, with the right team, with the right amount of luck to enable the win. Ross Brawn is no novice or newbie to winning world championships.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
How else can you explain that all the top teams at the end of last year were so bad at the beginning of this year?
Last year was so processional and boring that something had to be done to try and create a bit of excitement, although it failed miserably.

Quite simply - the double diffuser!

Brawn, Toyota & Williams were the pace setters at the start of the season and, aside from some horrible luck Toyota & Williams would've won a race or two.

Red Bull were the first other team to get the double diffuser and won the first race they used it in, it was such a significant upgrade for the cars that it was worth upwards of a second a lap....that in F1 is huge.

There is nothing at all sinister going on, pure & simple that some teams had a good aero package to start with whilst others didnt.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
there has been a huge mis-match in performance this year, both with the double-diffuser and with kers. The d-d worked right out the box (and as a piece of pure inventive design there should never have been an issue over it), kers didn't.

what will be happening next season, everyone to have d-d, kers staying or going?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
KERS is gone from next season, I think because only 2 teams took it seriously and only McLaren got theirs working properly, all of the teams have agreed to scrap it next season.

As with the double diffusers, every team has them on their cars now, there has been talk that Williams have invented a triple deck diffuser for their 2010 car that improves rear downforce by around 5%, which in F1 terms, is massive.

Couple that with their impending Renault engine deal and Williams could be the team to watch next season!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
£50.00 will be going on Vettels nose to win the championship next year. That guy will be as good as Schumacher..
Might do it in a double with Tiger not to win a major