Busy Courses

Mandofred

Visit site
That makes sense. I think we only have 350 so aren’t seeing the struggles that I’m reading so much about on here.

Just looked on BRS and there are 17 free slots before 9:30 tomorrow morning.
No idea how many members we have. Just looked at tomorrow and from 9:33 and earlier there were 4 openings I could put my name in. Probably would have been full if it wasn't raining all night.....wouldn't want to try to play in the morning. Plenty of spots after 10:30.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Noticed we are very busy Tuesday when I'm playing

Was a 2 Ball but he got covid ATM so will just be me. Somebody has added themsleves to our booking (2 more, allowed we get split half down front half down back)

Fingers crossed I get the back

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That makes sense. I think we only have 350 so aren’t seeing the struggles that I’m reading so much about on here.

Just looked on BRS and there are 17 free slots before 9:30 tomorrow morning.
We have similar numbers and find the same. It makes life easier but then I suspect/know that we wont get the same investment as those bigger clubs as we simply don't have the income coming in. The question then is whether the compromise is worthwhile, ie ease of getting a game against improvement in course and facilities. For me, at the moment, everything is good enough and I like the ease of getting a time. It's quite nice, isn't it ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
We have similar numbers and find the same. It makes life easier but then I suspect/know that we wont get the same investment as those bigger clubs as we simply don't have the income coming in. The question then is whether the compromise is worthwhile, ie ease of getting a game against improvement in course and facilities. For me, at the moment, everything is good enough and I like the ease of getting a time. It's quite nice, isn't it ?

I think a lot of people would be happy to trade a bit of course quality for ease of making a booking, or indeed number of times they can play.

I do think we are in a bit of a strange situation though due to COVID, I don’t remember this discussion in previous winters on the forum. Maybe it’s the bad weather helping contribute too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The big change that Covid has brought about is that we have gone from alternate 7/8 minutes to 9 minutes. This now means that all nearly all bookings are 4 balls whereas previously there was a good mix of 2,3 and 4 balls.

I know there are some members are unhappy about having to play in 4 balls

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are courses more busy? Is it due to those working at home nipping out for a round? More folk on furlough? Those who have missed out on a few months this year trying to make it up? Our winter times have been mobbed and it used to be really quiet in the wintertime. Can’t understand it.

Zig

Visit site
We're rammed at the minute. Booking a week in advance on BRS - fastest finger first like others are saying. After 5 mins the only slots left are the odd single before noon, or plenty of gaps after that, with the likelihood you'll not get 18 in. Interestingly, we've just reintroduced a waiting list and put up the 'membership full' sign. Fees increase seeing continued investment in the course, which is being well received by members as far as I can tell.

Downside at the min is we've had to say no visitors or guests until further notice... having to head up the coast to Bamburgh for a game with the family/mates this weekend to be able to have our annual xmas knock!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why has your club done that?[/QU

Our newish club manager right from the off when he took on the job wanted to change our tee intervals. I think he is following the opinion that shorted tee intervals just means longer waits on some tees and longer rounds.

When Covid restrictions came in we went to 10 minutes as per England Golf suggestion, not necessary in my opinion as it meant that there was just one 2 ball on each hole.

When it was discussed at committee I tried to get in 8 minutes but I felt the club manager and captain had already made up their minds and it was more less presented as a 'fait accompli'.

It really has not meant for quicker rounds as the speed of the round is always decided by the earliest slowest group on the course and we have some pretty slow early morning players. Still seeing 4 hour rounds very often.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Still seeing 4 hour rounds very often.

I dream of the day I get a sub 4 hr round. ☹️

The way my regular 4 ball play we should blind it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's winter, so much shorter playing times. With the current restrictions, we are now 2 balls only, 8 mins spacing and 9 holes only. I don't see what else they can do until things return to normal and the mandatory tee bookings are replaced with the turn up and play as it was.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Still seeing 4 hour rounds very often.

I dream of the day I get a sub 4 hr round. ☹️

The way my regular 4 ball play we should blind it.

are you playing the same course as summer or a shorter one?

we are on a shorter course at the moment around 6000, and we get round in 3 hours or less.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
are you playing the same course as summer or a shorter one?

we are on a shorter course at the moment around 6000, and we get round in 3 hours or less.

The course is now off yellow tees which are really forward. With three winter tees. It is as short as it is going to get.
We tee off around 9.30-45 so there is not many out before us. But a few of those only play 9 holes. It is like there is an amble mentality. it is the norm to play 2.30 hrs for the front nine. Then get on the back nine when it’s empty and do it in less than 2 hrs.
The four of us have said that we are telling the club pro we are not going in 9 hole comps until it is a level playing field. Ie slow play for everyone. If he realises he is being hit in the pocket he may well do something. I doubt it though.

I had a chuckle a couple of weeks ago. The club sent out a memo the other day from the comps committee. First on the agenda. Slow play.Except one of the committee plays in the fourball in front of us and they are one of the slowest fourballs at the course. ???

robbeh32

Visit site
Well ive now cancelled my direct debit no point if I cant even get a round and they dont want to listen. Seems strange some people cant book a time but some get same time every week!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well ive now cancelled my direct debit no point if I cant even get a round and they dont want to listen. Seems strange some people cant book a time but some get same time every week!

I presume your Direct Debit arrangement is due direct to the club and not a finance company such as Fairway Credit (as used by a lot of clubs). If the latter the finance company will chase you for the money including pursuing through credit chasers and courts and it will affect your credit rating.

robbeh32

Visit site
Well I wrote to the club by email and informed them of my cancellation of which I'm entitled to at any point as I don't owe them any money. If they want to chase me for money I will pay them but they would then have to pay me back as I've cancelled my membership.