Bushnell

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder if anyone can help me. I've been clever enough to somehow lose my GPS watch and have decided to replace it with a laser rangefinder. From reading through a few threads on here Bushnell seems to be the way to go.

So my question is which model to go for? I can't see a great deal of difference between the medalist, V2 and V3 apart from price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a V2 before it was stolen & it worked perfectly. The Nikon I replaced it with is not as good, harder to focus & gives false readings. Loads of used V2s on EBay.

That matches my experience. Though I wouldn't be so hard on the Nikon (I had a 350G which picked up flags from further away quicker, but you still had to waggle it a bit to get the First Target/Pinseeker logic to work). The Coolshot is pretty 'User Friendly', but the V2/3 is slightly more-so.

350G uses the same sort of batteries as the V2/V3 which are throway - V2 wasn't very good at warning about low battery. Medalist often uses the 9V ones, and you can get rechargeable ones. Medalist is a bit bulkier than V2/3. V3 carrying case is the easiest to access.

D

Deleted member 15344

V3 just appears to pick up the flag a bit quicker , it seems sharper and it has the buzz when it hits it's target

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just bought a laser as Shotmiser who make my GPS, have gone bust and I can't load any new courses. Decided the number of times I could not see the flag (& when an accurate distance actually mattered so not blind tee shots etc), I could count on the finger of one hand so a laser was the 'future proof' option.

I went for the v3 and have really liked using it. I wear glasses and the little buzz when i locks on makes it really easy to use plus the magnetic flap on the case rather than a zip is definitely the way to go.

Hunka Turf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had the V2 and V3. V2 was going through batteries very quickly (a complaint I've heard from quite a few people), so Bushnell replaced it with a V3.

As as said above, the V3 vibrates when you've hit the flag which is quite useful. Overall I've been much happier with the V3 and would recommend Bushnell after my experience with their customer service.

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a medallist and it is fine, but if the difference in price is small between it and a V2 then go for the V2 as it has a slightly larger magnification. I was going to buy a V2 but got the Medallist because someone was selling theirs at a daft price.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought the Nikon Coolshot with 20% off code from DG for £190. No problems. First battery lasted about 8 months. I've now had it for nearly a year and use it alongside my skycaddie. Readings are easy to obtain instantly, and 'false' readings - i.e. stuff behind the flag - are pretty easy to discount with a bit of common sense. Great bit of kit - and I wouldn't trade it for a V3. My only complaint would be the case is a bit crap - does the job, but would prefer something a little more robust. Not worth paying an extra £80 for though.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got bushnell v2 tour
Bought it few year ago
Worth the money I paid at the time for it

Used the v3 of a pals which is also very good with its little buzz when clicks to flag

Also used a Nikon of another pals. Couldn't get away with it totally not for me

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Saw a guy (good player off 4) with this today http://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/bushnell/accessories/hybrid-rangefinder-gps/

Seems to be the next generation with a laser target and a GPS device to give front and back measures automatically too. Way too pricey at the moment but a good move forward

been about a few years that, sadly they use such a bad gps unit in it that its just not worth it imho (i very nearly bought one, thankfully got to try before i did), personally think 2 separate units better still (albeit i dont even bother with gps at all anymore)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
been about a few years that, sadly they use such a bad gps unit in it that its just not worth it imho (i very nearly bought one, thankfully got to try before i did), personally think 2 separate units better still (albeit i dont even bother with gps at all anymore)

Thanks for that. This guy was raving about it but I guess it's like anything you buy new, you think it's great. Out of interest what was so bad about the GPS part?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that. This guy was raving about it but I guess it's like anything you buy new, you think it's great. Out of interest what was so bad about the GPS part?

it was pretty much their first gps unit i think, is it the neo? that was integrated into a laser. Information was pretty basic and the one i tried not overly accurate. If youve already got a laser then for me the added extra i would want on the gps would be a hole map and decent hazard info, esp off the tee and didnt have these. Just think theres much better gps units out there if you want one as well as the laser. If all you want is a middle yardage when you cant see the pin with the laser then i guess it will do the job. Didnt fill me with confidence when there was more than 5 yds diff between the 2 parts of the unit from the same spot though!