Bunkers

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think what he's doing that a lot of people forget (when using the traditional set up) is setting up with his hands well behind the ball and the shaft pointing to his right hip, most people I see in the bunkers don't do this, they feel they have to get their hands ahead like they do on a pitch and consequently fail to use the bounce

I completely agree with this, why first set up to hit the ball high on a cushion of sand then with the last action turn it into a low shot????

The other thing people do is set up their hands and feet wrong. They end up swinging massively out to in rather than using the correct normal swing plane but with an open club face and open stance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watching him playing those shots, it obviously works OUT OF SOFT FLUFFY SAND.
You try playing that shot out of hard /wet / compacted sand and you'll be there all day.

If the sand is wet and compact then you can use this method by hitting a little closer to the ball. It works fine, you need to practice it a bit like all shots. Many golfers have problems bouncing the club into the ball when the face is open and the sand is compact.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the face is open and the hands are behind the clubface, how is that going to get under the ball in hard sand? Would you not think that would just thin it?

But the face is not open Bob. The way it works is to keep the club square and upright at impact, the leading edge takes a shallow strip of sand with the ball.

If the sand is exeptionally compact and/or shallow I sometimes use this method and play the ball. Just like it was sat on a hardpan fairway. You do need to hit the ball with a slow tempo so that it carries the correct distance though.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

That's a good video Dave. I like that method.

You try playing that shot out of hard /wet / compacted sand and you'll be there all day.

If the sand is wet and compact then you can use this method by hitting a little closer to the ball.

If the face is open and the hands are behind the clubface, how is that going to get under the ball in hard sand?

But the face is not open Bob.
linear.jpg

I beg to differ

The way it works is to keep the club square and upright at impact, the leading edge takes a shallow strip of sand with the ball.

Guess what, I know that.:mad:
But thats not what was in the video.
So you need one technique for soft sand and another for wet sand.
My technique works for both.
Maybe I need to give 40,000 lessons before I can give an opinion on here?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
View attachment 2270

I beg to differ

Guess what, I know that.:mad:
But thats not what was in the video.
So you need one technique for soft sand and another for wet sand.
My technique works for both.
Maybe I need to give 40,000 lessons before I can give an opinion on here?

I really don't get you at times Bob. Someone gives some advice, I agreed with it. You disagreed with me and you suggest I am blocking your opinion. It's a Golf Forum, people talk about golf and give/debate golf issues. I happen to believe you give very good help to people but I think you would agree there are different ways of playing golf shots.

OK, in that picture his face is open before impact, I am not sure what it was like at impact. If it was open with a linear method the ball would shoot off right. He suggests in his preamble that the face should not be open.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The next time you are in a wet bunker, you try and do what he does in the video and as I said before, you'll be there all day
Just my opinion

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The next time you are in a wet bunker, you try and do what he does in the video and as I said before, you'll be there all day
Just my opinion

If you take it that the face is kept open then I would agree. If you keep it Linear and shallow it will work

Just my opinion as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've using the linear method for bunker play and chipping. I have to say, even with hard compact sand providing you turn back and through the ball comes out. I'm rubbish at the short game but I manage. I set the club face square and rotate and let the bounce take a shallw divot in wet sand. Works for me. I respect Bob's advice so I'm not going to get involved in the debate per se. I am just happy to get it out. The chipping methodology has given me a new lease of life and given me some confidence again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd never heard of the linear method until Homer mentioned it so I watched the video and I have issues with it.
Homer, I'm glad your short game is improving using this system but I wont be changing my method of teaching any time soon.
SR, you said you liked the video, I said I didn't and said why. You then told me I was wrong. What did you think I would say?

To the newbies in golf who may have watched the video, DO NOT open the clubface, aim right and keep the hands behind the ball in hard sand.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I messed around in the practice bunker with both of these methods today. I appreciate both of their merits. The sand was dry & fine but not very deep.

What worked for me was, line up square, club face neutral ie not open. Weight forward on left leg, grip down, take loads of sand. Commit to the shot. Vary distance by changing swing length.

My bunker play is poor for my handicap, so I'm going to stick with this method for a while.

I did find open face = thin into the bunker face

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
SR, you said you liked the video, I said I didn't and said why. You then told me I was wrong. What did you think I would say?

To the newbies in golf who may have watched the video, DO NOT open the clubface, aim right and keep the hands behind the ball in hard sand.

Bob, please reread the the thread and notice who started disagreeing with others advice. Seems like when you disagree with me it just your opinion and if I clarify my statement then I am disagreeing with you :(

Regarding the linear method with an open clubface: I think we all have agreed that will not work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Socket

Just out of interest, what is your qualification in golfing terms to give out all the advice you do?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket

Just out of interest, what is your qualification in golfing terms to give out all the advice you do?

I know a lot about golf, I love the sport, I have studied it with great interest for many years.

The point is not what my 'qualifications' are, it's how good my advice is and how it may help people. If someone disagrees with the information I give out FOC then they can ignore it, question it, ask me for clarification, give their own opinion or pass sarcastic comments. I am confident enough in my abilities to make good debate on my beliefs but will always consider contrary views.