Bunkers again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Where are the vast majority of bunkers?
Front left, front middle, front right.
Front.
Try this for one round and count how many times you go through a green.

When you see a 150 marker for your second shot, treat it as 160 and club accordingly.

Of course be cautious on those rare occassions when the rubbish is at the back or you've got very hard greens.:)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where are the vast majority of bunkers?
Front left, front middle, front right.
Front.
Try this for one round and count how many times you go through a green.

When you see a 150 marker for your second shot, treat it as 160 and club accordingly.

Of course be cautious on those rare occassions when the rubbish is at the back or you've got very hard greens.:)

Hold on a minute. That IS my way of playing. I hardly ever go in bunkers, that's why I'm so dodgy out of them!

We have a par 3 at mine. It's about 180 playing 170. If I'm pumped up and hitting it good, I pull out a 6 iron and hope to hit it straight, so it bumps on in between the traps.
Normally I take a 5 iron and am surprisingly consistent with being pin high and avoiding the sand.

Last 4 games, I've used a hybrid 5 iron (experimental club) and been in the bunkers 4 times out of 4. I'm beginning to think that the extra height is proving too temperamental.

:)

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course is unusual in that on 7 of the 9 holes there is more trouble behind the green than short of the green.Better to treat our 150 markers as 140 if anything.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course is unusual in that on 7 of the 9 holes there is more trouble behind the green than short of the green.Better to treat our 150 markers as 140 if anything.

Crikey.

If I had this problem and treated 150 as 140, I'd still be off 28. :)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it has to go both ways.

If the trouble is at the front, club a bit longer. If it's at the back (OOB etc) then club a bit shorter. Unless you are one of the better players who has that level of control over you're distance.

We have a par 3 at ours that is 216 off the comp tees. Bunkers protect front left and right with about 4-5 yards gap in between.

Go over the back and you're chipping up a 30ft high bank from a bare lie !!

Can't be long, can't be short.

I've actually considered laying up to 50 yards out and chipping on. But I'd probably just fat the chip into a bunker anyway :D

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing off the first in an Open Comp, my pal has his oldest son nine(ish) pulling his caddiecar - his younger son 6(ish) is now unhappy so his dad tells him it's OK 19th will let him pull his caddiecart.

He was so wee the clubs were sliding forward out of the bag on any downhill part of the course which was the only part of the course he could pull the the caddycart!

Playing a par five, I was deciding on what to play for my third shot, a nine or a wedge. I must have said it out loud as this voice from my knee level asked "Where's the trouble?" "At the front" " Play your nine" came the emphatic reply.

Words of wisdom.

Martin, the wee lad, is now a pro of many years standing!!