bunker- unplayble options

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys , can you tell me what were my available options . I played my tee shot at a par 3 , ball landed against the face at the far away corner of the 2foot deep greenside bunker.
I can only get my right leg in the bunker while knelling on my left, my only shot is to play away from the pin. I failed to get it out 4 times , it kept rolling back into the divot , which was getting deeper and deeper.
Question 1- before trying to play out I could have declared it unplayable and took a penalty drop back towards the tee is that correct ?.
Question 2- after making my 1st 2nd or 3rd attempt at getting out of the bunker, can I then declare it unplayable , and if so where would I drop ? . BTW I took a 7.
cheers.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unplayable two club lengths not nearer, or as far back as you like on a line between the ball and the hole.

Standard rules of unplayable - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.

EDIT - ignore this. I have been corrected.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unplayable two club lengths not nearer, or as far back as you like on a line between the ball and the hole.

Standard rules of unplayable - I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but that's how I understand it.
I should point out if I did take 2 club length outside the bunker away from the hole my NPR, I could have putted my next shot , wish i'd thought at the time

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

as you predicted......you are wrong :)

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Question 2- after making my 1st 2nd or 3rd attempt at getting out of the bunker, can I then declare it unplayable , and if so where would I drop ?

You may declare it unplayable and play under any of the options a, b or c as above.

However, option a will not get you out of the bunker because you will have played your previous stroke from in the bunker.

This is the classic Hamlet moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfCzsQp6yls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_is_a_cigar_called_Hamlet

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting.

That's one of those it's good to know because after your first attempt you're pretty much screwed - a bit like that Kevin Na 16 when he should have taken unplayable in the trees but decided to try to hack out and couldn't then return to the tee.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Before taking an unplayable, Id be looking 360 degrees around the bunker for somewhere to play it out first time rather than wasting shots in drops.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sideways or even backwards can be a better option than trying to hit it towards the pin!

Biggest problem with taking unplayable in a bunker is dropping it will often mean ball ends up plugged.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting.

That's one of those it's good to know because after your first attempt you're pretty much screwed - a bit like that Kevin Na 16 when he should have taken unplayable in the trees but decided to try to hack out and couldn't then return to the tee.

exactly once the first bravado slash has been made you are stumped!