Bunker tips

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Other than don't hit your ball into them... :D

I'd say open your stance with a good knee flex. Get your feet nicely planted into the sand.
Aim to the left of the flag (for a righty) open your blade, swing across your body aiming at a target about 1-2 inches behind the ball and plan to take a cushion of sand out with your ball..

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above, it's the only part of my game I get right consistently! Usually out in one, now just working on getting it to land where I want it to!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would firstchek their gear - I have seen some cheap sand wedges with very little bounce making it more difficult before before they have even set foot into the bunker.

After that I would keep it simple (aim a bit left and hit behind the ball).

If they want to learn they can take that into a bunker and practice.

Its been a long day!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say open your stance with a good knee flex. Get your feet nicely planted into the sand.
Aim to the left of the flag (for a righty) open your blade, swing across your body aiming at a target about 1-2 inches behind the ball and plan to take a cushion of sand out with your ball..

Not much to add really. Open stance and clubface. Ball forward and down the grip

bunker1.jpg

Full backswing

bunker2.jpg

And full followthrough

bunker3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11XYrHSEII

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob, thats the easy one - what about the 50 yarder? Ball forwaed on stance, take a PW, aim to 'nip' the ball off the sand???

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First piece of advice: Learn the method then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Once the student has been taught the stance, how to hold the wedge and the swing then get in a practice bunker, rake it, draw out two parallell lines through the sand around 6 inches apart then practice going down the line making practice swings without a ball so the club enters the sand at the first line and exits at the second with a shallow divot, splash the divot of sand onto the green. When you can do this well then make the lines again and place a row of balls down the middle and creating the same divots see the ball fly out with the sand. If you start doing it wrong then go back to hitting the lines and sand only untill you get it right, then back to balls.

Long answer but it works.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Buy a Titleist Vokey 54* with 14* of bounce and then do all the things Bob said

Well, it works for me!

Chris

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get one of these pal, it transformed my bunker play, I haven't ever left one in since, and they spin like buggery.
imagesqtbnANd9GcTTfssPlSu2xnFJndvhg.jpg

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, thats the easy one - what about the 50 yarder? Ball forwaed on stance, take a PW, aim to 'nip' the ball off the sand???

Seve used to play this shot with an eight iron. If you are in a fairway bunker, and hit it fat it always goes about 50 yards with most clubs.