Bunker help

Bucket92

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been having trouble getting out of bunkers recently, I didn't used to have much of a problem, but that's changed. Anyone got any good tips for bunker play?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had this issue for a little while and it was because I had started moving my head unconsiously. As soon as this was pointed out to me I managed to go back to getting out with no problems. It's just a question of following the basics for me in that I position my feet at address as if I am aiming at a target 10 feet to the left of the flag and open the club so it's pointing at the pin. Aim to hit 1-2 inches behind the ball making sure get through the sand. Commit to the shot and swing through.

My biggest issue with bunkers is the complete variety in terms of the amount of sand in them. Makes it so hard to be consistent.

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Set up then keep the parts below the waist still . dont be bending or moving , loadsa loft get under the ball, but most importantly follow through , get that club through & out of the sand ..

Doesnt have to be a mad fast swing but the min you start the down swing keep going & accelerate through the sand under the ball

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Providing the technique is correct, it's really just a case of practice.

The 2 worst errors I see are trying to 'help' the ball out and not swinging hard enough/finishing the swing

There's also a bit of a temptation to be a bit cute, which can have embarrassing consequences!

Here's Pet Cowan on bunker shots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWgy1AobWc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
watch The Open. Seriously - lots of bunker play fom all sort of lies and stances. The super slo mo replays are brilliant at showing you how the pros do it and there is no reason we amateurs cannot apply the same basics as they.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say the bunkers the tour pros have to contend with have been prepared superbly.
Club golfers have to be able to cope with fluffy sand, builders sand and often wet packed sand.

That's the problem. A bunker with nice fluffy sand is so much easier to get out of than one with wet hard packed sand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's the problem. A bunker with nice fluffy sand is so much easier to get out of than one with wet hard packed sand.

Oooh - not so sure when you are used to the latter. Currently just getting to grip with our new bunker sand - which is very soft, deep and fluffy - looks vey like that at Muirfield. Key things I am working on are:

1) Close my stance so that though still a bit open it is not as open as I had become (was wide open)
2) Distribute weight more evenly in stance. Previously I was very weighted on my left side.
3) Tend left side towards hole - keeping 2) above in mid - previously I was almost leaning towards the hole
4) Shallower take away and feeling of skimming under the ball (previously I was pretty steep pick up)
5) Club angle at address aligned so hands are/feel more behind clubhead rather than ahead of
6) Feeling throwing clubhead under and through the ball to ensure follow-through
7) Watching Luke Donald bunker play video on Youtube

Now some or all of the above may be 'wrong' but seems to be working in that I am now confident of getting the ball out of the bunker. Previously I was convinced I was a hopeless case and unable to get the ball out of the new sand - and usually it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
agree with swingsit - for many it starts with what they are used too...

give me hard pack with 1/2" on top and I'll make bets :D

Indeed - which is my problem at the moment as we transition - my bunker game is geared completely around exactly the type of bunker your describe - and as these days I don't 'play away' that much I'm not experiencing other sorts of bunker sand. But I'm learning - odd at my vintage - as I'm also for the first time learning to play high lob wedge approaches from <100yds. You are never too old or experienced to learn new shots.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I don't agree. Fluffy bunkers are hard. Even more so if you don't have a club with a lot of bounce.

The majority of people who can't get out of greenside bunkers don't bend their knees enough and basically blade (thin) the ball, it's the ONE time where you want to hit the ground before the ball.... so bend your knees A LOT to make sure you hit the ground and not the equator of the ball..... then swing firm enough for the shot in hand.