Bunker Help!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Coincidentally I found the same lie in a number of bunkers during a foursomes round at the weekend; towards the back of the bunker, on the down slope.

My approach to this was to try and match my stance with the angle of the slope and an earlier wrist set for a steeper angle of attack (to avoid the lip of the bunker). Wasn't very successful however and I spent some time in a practice bunker today with little improvement.

Mainly I was catching the ball too cleanly and firing it over the green.

Question is - how do I ensure I get enough on it to escape the bunker but without coming out like a bullet?

EDIT: I should say that I'm OK out of bunkers given a flat lie or on the up slope.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come out sideways or backwards??

Our course has a grand total of 10 bunkers thank the lord. Although the majority of hazards being water means no need to worry about the lie!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Come out sideways or backwards??

Our course has a grand total of 10 bunkers thank the lord. Although the majority of hazards being water means no need to worry about the lie!

In fairness, for one of the shots I had so little green to go for that I would've been better ignoring the pin and aiming for the widest part of the green. In general though, air mailing the green or failing to get out (hopefully getting a better lie) isn't any worse than coming out backwards..... unless there was serious trouble for going too far.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a very difficult shot.
My advice would be to either as Amanda said, out sideways or backwards
Or
Have a lesson with your pro. He will be able to see what you're doing at the moment and suggest any changes to help.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a very difficult shot.
My advice would be to either as Amanda said, out sideways or backwards
Or
Have a lesson with your pro. He will be able to see what you're doing at the moment and suggest any changes to help.

I'm planning to have a short game lesson anyway so will definitely get his view on this.

I really don't understand the point of playing out backwards though - that's just a shot wasted. I've as much chance of getting it up and down from over the green or a better lie in the bunker than I do from behind the bunker and at least I'll have given myself a chance?

Different if it was a nightmare deep bunker that I was struggling to get out of forwards at all.... but I hope not to gain the acquaintance of any such beasties! :)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lob wedge, weight forward, shaft vertical, aim straight at pin, early wrist hinge, hit into sand inch behind ball, dont let the clubhead pass your hands, finish high. Does it for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm having real bunker issues. Either hitting it fat or taking no sand at all and sending it 100 yards over the green. I've been practicing and putting a line behind the ball about 3 inches as an impact area and can normally get the club entering on the line and it pops up. However even with this line in the practice bunker I can still thin them and not take any sand. I tend to make a fullish swing like in the Mickleson video.

Any tips?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm having real bunker issues. Either hitting it fat or taking no sand at all and sending it 100 yards over the green. I've been practicing and putting a line behind the ball about 3 inches as an impact area and can normally get the club entering on the line and it pops up. However even with this line in the practice bunker I can still thin them and not take any sand. I tend to make a fullish swing like in the Mickleson video.

Any tips?

It's important not to allow your wrists to cross over or the clubhead past your hands. Get a feel that the clubface still points up at the sky at the end of the shot.

As soon as the clubface gets past your hands it will start lifting into the ball. Also keep your hands moving at a steady speed right into the finish. I also prefer not to open the face and hit to the left, a straight swing with a lob wedge works well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: