Build consistency or correct faults

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance from the experts/advice from people who’ve been through similar.
I’ve been playing a couple of years but family commitments mean that I have limited time to practice and even less to play so progress has been slow. At the moment I enjoy the game but can’t get round in anything like a respectable (sub 100) score. My goal for now and possible always will be , just to be able to enjoy social golf without looking like a plonker.

I’ve had some lessons but found that I’d come away with too many things to think about. So have spent the last half dozen trips to the range focusing on the basics of grip, stance and (I thought) swing path. This has led to some progress; I’m striking the ball much more consistently, have lost the slice with my irons and reduced it with the driver. 40% of my shots go straight, 25% I push 10-15 yards/25% I pull 10-15 yards, the other 10% I now hook rather than slice.
So as I felt I had the basic’s right I thought I’d video my swing using an iPad to see what I needed to look at next. This has led to the reason for my post – from my basic understanding of what should be happening it was horrific. Loads of movement, no plane to speak of, big over the top move, etc, etc.

Sorry for the long preamble but the questions is:
  1. Should I simply keep what I’ve got and hope practice will increase the % that go straight, and allow me to shift focus to my short game for when it doesn’t.
  2. Or try and fix the problems.
Any constructive input would be appreciated.
:thup:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It doesn't sound like you have much to work with, so I'm going for fix it. In the long term it will pay off. You need to find a better coach though, one who keeps things simple.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
As Murph says you want to keep things simple. My own coach never gives me more than one or two things to work on at a time. Mostly just one unless it is two smaller things.

It will however be necessary to practice what he teaches as much as possible. Some things can be done in front of a mirror at home if you dont have time to go to the range as often as you should.

Better to build a consistent good swing than a consistent bad one.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sort the faults as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the harder it will become, as you will grove the wrong things.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Unanimous then – back to the Pro. I’m happy with his teaching methods, I’ll just ask him to spend the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half of the lesson focusing on a single fix and leave me with a drill or 2 for it.

Thanks you all for your input – much appreciated.

mc73

Club Champion
Visit site
1 thing that sometimes does get tough to take as a fix is sometimes followed by frustration when trying to implement the fix, I've had a similar issue lately where I have a swing change to get me more inside and beginning my downswing with the lower body rather than my arms, last range session resulted in 75% of shots pulled, 20% shanked and 5% good strikes, I can cope with that the first session after my lesson especially as the good strikes were coming at the end of my range session.

Persisting with what you have will result in slight improvement, persisting with what the experts tell you should result in big improvements EVENTUALLY

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Speak to your coach and ask what is the best route to getting a good swing that is easy to repeat.

You need to have a practice plan that works on some sound principles that will allow you to make good repeatable ball impact. OK your short game may need some further work but I think it's important to be able to hit the ball well with your woods and mid irons first.

Try to work on a swing that has as few moving parts as possible. You may want to consider a more 'Rotary' or 'Single plane' type swing, this form of swing is one that when learned needs little maintaience.

Speak to your coach about it and let us know how you are getting on.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've had a similar issue lately where I have a swing change to get me more inside and beginning my downswing with the lower body rather than my arms, last range session resulted in 75% of shots pulled, 20% shanked and 5% good strikes, I can cope with that

My mate paid £80 for a lesson and shanked the whole lot.... and the next 200 balls he hit later. It's quite often normal to shank a load of shots until the body gets used to the move.... you just have to trust it.

nb: his h/cap came down from 12-7 in 6 months.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Quite often a shank is a 99% good swing. Just needs that other 1% to get rid. Like Just One says I have also seen this happen and they were so close to what they wanted to do but just not quite there yet as their muscle memory of the old swing was still trying to dominate over the new swing.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like has been said already, you need to get the basics correct. Grip, stance and ball position is so important as you need to start the swing from the correct place. Get those correct and you will be amazed how quickly things start to improve. It may be worth going to another coach for a lesson if you feel this one is giving you too much to do. It is like anything in life there are good ones and bad ones. Just because he is PGA qualified it does not mean he is a very good teacher for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally you have to have a decent platform on which to start. I know my swing isn't great but I know what my bad shots are and the cause. I'd say have a couple of lessons and get a pro to get rid of the major flaws that are really holding the score back. Practice and play as much as you can and work on the drills you've been shown. As others have said, a good pro will only give you a few things to work on at a time. I have tried to self analyse and beleive me it is a road to depression and madness. Let a pro work on the swing with you. For me correct the faults (or some of them) and consistancy will come

mc73

Club Champion
Visit site
My mate paid £80 for a lesson and shanked the whole lot.... and the next 200 balls he hit later. It's quite often normal to shank a load of shots until the body gets used to the move.... you just have to trust it.

nb: his h/cap came down from 12-7 in 6 months.

The difference with the shank now is I understand 100% why it's happened and how to correct it, yes it feels strange but it will with plenty practice feel natural

Migs

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree with all said, stick with the lessons for long term improvement... after I've had a lesson I dread my next round because I know I'll be inbetween changing something in my swing and I'll have a shocker, but given a couple of range sessions to work on the drills the improvements shine through everytime.