Buggies

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are buggies allowed at your club at the moment? Heading to Devon and Cornwall on the weekend and a buggy would be nice, especially second day after a night out, but I’m guessing most courses may be restricted?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ours are out all year - paths only now, but that doesn't stop people thinking that the rule doesn't apply to them.

How do you find that, if you use them? When I’ve used buggies with path restrictions, I didn’t get much enjoyment from it. I always seem to take the wrong club and then I feel too under pressure to just take the shot, rather than walk back to change it.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
How do you find that, if you use them? When I’ve used buggies with path restrictions, I didn’t get much enjoyment from it. I always seem to take the wrong club and then I feel too under pressure to just take the shot, rather than walk back to change it.
I’m with you on that. Had this via a gos restricted buggy and hated it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I never use them tbh, I prefer to walk and I'll ditch the electric trolley for a carry bag shortly, as areas get roped off I find carrying a bag a lot more convenient. The buggies are there to attract visitors, of which we do get quite a lot, but I find it's cold enough in winter without riding round with the wind chill (and a lot less physcial exercise) on a buggy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Went in a buggy for the first time earlier this year.
Played the Monty at Celtic Manor and we had to stay on the cart path...
Absolute pain in the butt.
Had to carry 2 or 3 clubs over to the ball, and when it's on the side furthest away from the path it could be 60/70 yards or more, and then do the same for the other player...
Never again....if I have to use buggy paths only then I'm walking..
Killed the enjoyment and took longer, although there are some long walks between tees so that saved a bit of time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The absolute worst course for buggies I have ever played is the Nicklaus at St Mellion. You have to keep to the cart path and at times I'm sure it enters neighbouring counties.
But buggies are the only way I can now play 36 holes in one day...????

sunshine

Visit site
When I’ve used buggies with path restrictions, I didn’t get much enjoyment from it.

If you are looking to get enjoyment from riding a buggy, maybe you should try go karting. Looks like you are letting the golf get in the way of your fun.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Unfortunately we have a number of buggies.

They are supposed to be kept to paths, away from green complexes and out of the primary rough. That doesn’t happen and people drive them like they are on safari. Generally the use of buggies seems to slow play down.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why would a club invest in buggies and then not set them up to be used properly
Notwithstanding that players should be savvy enough to know that you shouldn’t take a buggy near a green, into a bunker, onto a teeing area or to the edge of a cliff… the club should set the fleet up to define the no-go areas on the GPS and cut out when someone crosses the boundary line. Players then have to reverse to get back to the permitted areas
No-go areas can be updated as required based on weather and other local ground conditions should they want 'cart path only' for example, on a particular day

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, no cart paths, but it is a pretty dry links course. Club only has half a dozen, but a few guys have their own, tbh the majority of people who use the do so as without a buggy some of these guys would be not able to play.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My club has a few hire buggies and quite a number of members have their personal ones. When the course conditions prevail there is a 90 Deg rule where they must be driven off the fairway and taken to your ball and back at 90 degrees.
Don't like using them myself, haven't progressed to an electric trolley yet ?

Newtonuti

Visit site
I don't mind a buggy for a twilight round, or the hungover sunday on an overnighter, but prefer walking the rest of the time, and I don't even bother if it's path only. Another thing that annoys me is buggy's not being charged up properly. Ours nearly gave up the ghost on the 16th at Portal the other weekend, then finally died on the 18th, close to the clubhouse luckily. If you're paying £40 for a buggy, you expect it to actually work the entire round!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a new General Manager and Course managers a few years ago who tried to bring in winter buggy bans. There was such an uproar that they relented and devised a buggy route, although we still get buggy bans for several days in winter in very wet conditions.

We have a new fleet and they are GPS equipped and cut out if a player tries to take one where they are not supposed to go (like a few other courses round here).

simo71

Visit site
Generally allowed on our course for most of the year, dry links course. But some wetter periods in the winter do mean that the club will restrict use at times.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a new General Manager and Course managers a few years ago who tried to bring in winter buggy bans. There was such an uproar that they relented and devised a buggy route, although we still get buggy bans for several days in winter in very wet conditions.

We have a new fleet and they are GPS equipped and cut out if a player tries to take one where they are not supposed to go (like a few other courses round here).
Must be a terror ride going down 14 and 15 at your place on a buggy ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We ban them in winter , which really helped last year keep the course tip top ...

Going princes tomorrow. Gutted that I've really hurt my ankle so I've had to resort to getting a buggy. I prefer walking.

Played golf with a marshall at ours a few weeks back, he gets them free so he got one for us ..really didn't see the point lol we don't need them at all we have like 2 proper hills

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be a terror ride going down 14 and 15 at your place on a buggy ?

We have a buggy path for those holes, although quite a few choose not to use it.

First time I used one of the hire buggies I did a complete 360 spin after hitting the brakes going down 14.

I use my own single seater buggy normally and it is not a problem but I normally avoid going down 15 because of the bumps and use the path.