Buggies

Captain_Black.

Visit site
We had a new General Manager and Course managers a few years ago who tried to bring in winter buggy bans. There was such an uproar that they relented and devised a buggy route, although we still get buggy bans for several days in winter in very wet conditions.

We have a new fleet and they are GPS equipped and cut out if a player tries to take one where they are not supposed to go (like a few other courses round here).

I played a course where 2x of my fellow players were in a gps controlled buggy.
They got too close to a green & the buggy cut out, so they put it into reverse & backed it straight into a tree.
Now they couldn't go forwards or backwards & started rowing on who's fault it was & nearly came to blows.
It was hilarious & made my day.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Had a buggy at a course last week. (had no trollies for hire unbelievably) I found the one big advantage was being able to fire up the fairway on a blind shot to see the green.
Didn't make the round quicker imo and on a cold day I think I would have been happier walking.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On a corporate day I play at the London club it’s buggies for all groups but I tend to walk down the fairways and use the buggy from green to next tee as part of the game is getting exercise

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a corporate day I play at the London club it’s buggies for all groups but I tend to walk down the fairways and use the buggy from green to next tee as part of the game is getting exercise

As some one who has needed and used a buggy for over 30 years one of the things I taught myself is not to be too dependent on one and go everywhere on it. I try to walk wherever I can just to get some exercise.

I get annoyed with players who have their own buggies who will drive it round the very edge of the greens and down the steep slopes to the next tee. One guy once took out a whole area of newly laid grass turfs doing this.