Buggies in Belek

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We're currently in Belek, playing the Gloria courses.
Every round we've had to fight to get a buggy. The pro shop staff say there aren't any available, but outside there are plenty waiting. My wife has dodgy knees and needs a buggy. After much negotiation with the buggy master they relent and we get one.

We've been coming to Belek every year for about a decade and this is the first time there's been any problems getting buggies. We just can't fathom what they're up to.

Anyone else been to Belek this year, and what was your experience?
If this is just a problem at the Gloria, we'll simply boycott those courses in future, but if it's become systemic in the whole area, we have some more serious thinking to do.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a large group of us going in 3 weeks time and we plan to buggy every day. We are staying and playing mainly at Seuno. We also have games booked at the Carya and the Monty. One of our guys is trying to book them in advance but not sure how he is getting on.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
From my experience, buggies cannot be booked in advance. It is a case of first come, first served on the day. We however go in March so demand might not be so high then. Courses are relatively flat and push trolleys are easy going.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if their 'fleet' is aging and faults/more frequent battery recharge are reducing the number available per day

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I know a guy on Twitter who had this same issue. Let's be honest, it's not what you want when you go on an all inclusive golf holiday, where you might want to have a few beers as you cill out on the course.
If you book a greenfee here, the buggy is an additiional cost, so if you book one, then you should get one.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have been going to Belek every year for the last 11 years and it has always been "first come, first served" at all the courses we have played.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Have been going to Belek every year for the last 11 years and it has always been "first come, first served" at all the courses we have played.
Yes indeed, that's my experience. But this year, we've been told "no buggies left" when there clearly are some. And after you make a fuss, a buggy magically becomes available. Something weird is going on, and I'd like to know if it's only at Gloria or if they're all up to it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes indeed, that's my experience. But this year, we've been told "no buggies left" when there clearly are some. And after you make a fuss, a buggy magically becomes available. Something weird is going on, and I'd like to know if it's only at Gloria or if they're all up to it.

Just curious, could you take a guess at roughly how many buggies the course has?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There wasn't any bother getting buggies at Pasha/Sultan or Carya when we were there four weeks ago even though the courses were busy. Remember if your tee time is early and there seems to be plenty buggies around, they might be for later rounds, or require charging from previous use. It might also be that they want to restrict the number of buggies in use to protect the course.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just curious, could you take a guess at roughly how many buggies the course has?
No idea. Gloria has two 18 hole courses and a 9 hole. Tee times appear to be 8 mins apart, and 4.5 hour rounds seem the norm. So my guess is that there could be as many as 300 golfers actively playing at any one time. Do they have 150 buggies? Seems unlikely.
There wasn't any bother getting buggies at Pasha/Sultan or Carya when we were there four weeks ago even though the courses were busy. Remember if your tee time is early and there seems to be plenty buggies around, they might be for later rounds, or require charging from previous use. It might also be that they want to restrict the number of buggies in use to protect the course.
Thanks for that info. As it happens we're going to be playing Pasha and Sultan in October. The Sirene hotel isn't as good as the Gloria ones, but we prefer their courses.
Your point about early v later tee times is a good one. We tend to start around 11ish. (Wife hates getting up early).

C7usk

Visit site
Do you think it's worth getting buggies..? . We are playing 31st March in Belek... 3rnds over the 5 nights. . We have them booked but appreciate looking at comments we may not even get one...im a bit concerned, it seems you need to stick to the paths the run aside the fairways as opposed to driving on the fairways... That sounds a tad inconvenient.. Especially if you don't know the course etc... Do you end up parking and taking a couple of clubs over to your ball... I think I'd prefer walking and getting the craic.. But maybe with a hangover and 21 deg it maybe not a great idea... 🤔

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never had to stick to the paths when I’ve been there except for one time at the Montgomerie. That’s only because there had been a torrential downpour and the fairways were soaked

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you think it's worth getting buggies..? . We are playing 31st March in Belek... 3rnds over the 5 nights. . We have them booked but appreciate looking at comments we may not even get one...im a bit concerned, it seems you need to stick to the paths the run aside the fairways as opposed to driving on the fairways... That sounds a tad inconvenient.. Especially if you don't know the course etc... Do you end up parking and taking a couple of clubs over to your ball... I think I'd prefer walking and getting the craic.. But maybe with a hangover and 21 deg it maybe not a great idea... 🤔

Agree with post #14
Usually only used on courses I play when fairways have had heavy rain. I wouldn't have thought clubs would use it when not necessary as it slows the round pace down and loses them tee times (money)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been to Belek many times (probably about a dozen) and have never had to keep buggies off the grass.

That said, we have buggies because my wife has slightly dodgy knees and needs them. if you are able to walk then do so. Buggy hire is not cheap, typically 40-45 euros, so you'll save yourself plenty. Trolley hire is about 10 euros. There are a few courses with some long treks from green to tee, but it's not that bad.

C7usk

Visit site
Cheers for the replys... Sounds like buggies the way to go then... Should've asked on here 1st instead of reviews elsewhere.. @cliveb... A dozen times in Belek... Sounds quality mate... 1st time playing abroad for us and cannot wait... Cheers.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replys... Sounds like buggies the way to go then... Should've asked on here 1st instead of reviews elsewhere.. @cliveb... A dozen times in Belek... Sounds quality mate... 1st time playing abroad for us and cannot wait... Cheers.
Which course(s) are you playing?

C7usk

Visit site
Sorry Cliveb, I never noticed the reply... Kaya Palazzo and cullinan links - Olympos course... By all accounts from what I've read probably the poorer courses on offer but we are a bit restricted cost wise...Just happy to get away with the lads.. Hoping it wets the appetite and it's something we can do again sometime.. i am quite happy to walk as are another 2...the other 3 mates are defo wanting buggys... Hoping not a big distance between tees..

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry Cliveb, I never noticed the reply... Kaya Palazzo and cullinan links - Olympos course... By all accounts from what I've read probably the poorer courses on offer but we are a bit restricted cost wise...Just happy to get away with the lads.. Hoping it wets the appetite and it's something we can do again sometime.. i am quite happy to walk as are another 2...the other 3 mates are defo wanting buggys... Hoping not a big distance between tees..
If Kaya Palazzo used to be called Kaya Eagles, I've played that one a couple of times, but several years ago. Decent enough course, but not one I'd go out of my way to play. Never played the Cullinan - I think that's a recent addition.
My favourite is definitely the Sultan. Lots of people like the National, but I hated it - probably because it beat me up 😬
But the bottom line is that there isn't a bad course in Belek.